Chapter 2

When Draco accepted Potter's invitation to share his invisibility cloak, there were a few aspects he hadn't thought of. First, the close proximity to the other man. Harry's hand was protectively on the small of Draco's back so that they didn't get too far apart. The second thing was the fact that they'd have to share a carriage back together.

"Hey Malfoy?"

"Yes Potter?"

"If you ever need anything, don't be afraid to reach out to me okay? Even if you just want some company. This... this was really nice for me, and I hope it was for you too. It doesn't have to end because we're back. We're not who we used to be."

Draco chuckled quietly, the reaction surprising Harry.

"We're just two ghosts standing in the place of you and me?," Draco offered.

"Trying to remember how it feels to have a heartbeat."

"Yes, I thought you'd be narcissistic enough to listen to another famous man with the same first name as you."

Harry laughed and shook his head, nudging Draco's foot with his own.

"You really are quite funny."

"You keep complimenting me, you must really want to spend some more time with me."

"I do."

"I don't know why you'd want to bring something like that upon yourself, but I suppose it can be arranged."

"You're not a bad person Draco. You used to be quite the prat, but you've grown. We all have. I don't hold your actions against you, you were just trying to survive."

"I wish everyone else had the same mindset as you."

"If they have an issue with you, or any other Slytherins for that matter, they can take it up with me. I'm tired of all of the feuds and prejudices. I didn't die for all of that to continue."

"So you did die then?"

"I thought your mother would've told you? It was this whole thing where I had the choice to live or die. If I chose death, Voldemort would have won. Pros and cons to both you know but obviously that would have been the worst option. So, here I am."

"You're quite... unnerved by all of this."

"Remember who you're talking to Malfoy. I have stories. Maybe I'll share them with you sometime."

"That could be nice... Listen Potter, I really do appreciate this. I wasn't expecting a warm welcome by anybody, but especially from you. Thank you."

"The only person still living that I hold a grudge for is Umbridge. In the scheme of things you were quite mild. Kept me on my toes is all," Harry joked lightly.

"I will admit you made things more interesting."

"Me, interesting? Just your average school year trying to stay alive you know?"

Harry wasn't looking at Draco, instead his haunted gaze fell on Hogwarts as it came into view.

"I could make an attempt to keep up tradition if you liked," Draco blurted out, effectively distracting Harry.

"Let's leave that in the past yeah? I'm sure there's some kind of target on my back but who knows? I just want to keep my head down this year, but I know that's not possible. Trouble always finds me one way or another."

This year, trouble seemingly came in the name of Draco Malfoy, but Harry didn't quite know that yet.

"If you need anything Potter, I'm sure you'll find me. You have a knack for that."