Chapter 27

Third Person POV

Over the next few days, the prince and Safania settled into somewhat of a routine. Every morning he would take care of his princely duties - training, meetings, etc. - and every afternoon and evening he would spend with Safania - playing chess, reading, and, his favorite, talking. Safania was an incredible conversationalist. She was witty, sharp, and thoughtful. She could have a conversation about anything, even things she didn't know anything about, just by asking the right questions and listening closely.

The staff all loved her. And why wouldn't they? She was exceptionally polite and treated everyone with respect and kindness. Cassius had walked in on her and Emalina hysterically laughing more than a few times. His entire wing of the palace was filled with more joy than he could ever remember. The more time Prince Cassius spent with Safania, the more he realized there was no way he could ever let this woman go.

While Safania was generally happy and cheerful, she still had occasional nightmares. When they happened, Cassius would come to her room and hold her to help her calm down and fall asleep. He hated himself for thinking it because he didn't want her to suffer, but he actually looked forward to her nightmares because it meant a rare occasion where he could be physically close to her.

It had been over two weeks now, and based on her rate of healing, which was significantly faster than average, Avus had made it clear the two could engage in sexual intimacy. And Cassius couldn't deny he was still tempted, despite their arrangement. Seeing the way Safania bit her lip while she concentrated during a difficult chess match, the way her eyes lit up when he showed her something new, and the way her new tailored wardrobe contoured perfectly to her body ... it was difficult for him to not constantly think about holding her, kissing her, and hearing her moan and cry out in pleasure. But he wouldn't push it. Not until she was ready. Hopefully one day she would be. For now, he was just enjoying that she had finally let her guard down and had stopped trying to fight him on everything. That itself was worth a bit of hopefully temporary sexual frustration.

On this particular day, the two were playing a very competitive game of chess. Cassius had just put pressure on Safania's knight, but Safania had a better overall position. As Safania reached for a piece to make her move, an admiral burst into the study. "Your highness, I apologize for the intrusion."

"Excuse me for a moment," the prince told Safania in Eirlin, then switched to Ledish. "I assume it's important," he said, walking towards the admiral.

"Sir, we were able to push back the invaders from Abree. They have fully surrendered. We picked up a small city in the conflict. It's near the Western Fort, so it provides us with a strategic advantage. We have about 5000 prisoners - men, women and children."

"Move the Western Fort's soldier's families to the city. It will raise morale. Execute the male prisoners, distribute the women and children across the kingdom," Cassius replied simply.

"Of course your highness," the admiral replied.

"Wait," Safania called out in Eirlin, standing up. The two men turned to her. "One moment admiral," Cassius said.

"What is it Safania?" he asked her.

"Please do not do this," Safania begged Cassius.

"Do what?" Cassius asked, slightly confused. Then it dawned on him. "You speak Ledish."

"You can yell at me later," Safania said swiftly, still speaking in Eirlin to avoid the admiral overhearing the discussion. "Just please do not do this."

"You're questioning me in front of my admiral?" the prince asked, sounding more intrigued than mad.

"Your highness, the villagers did not attack your military base. Their leader did." Safania responded.

"And they followed their leader's orders. Actions have consequences."

Safania picked up her King from the chess set and looked at it. "You are taking out your problem with a King on his pawns. It's not their fault."

"It may not be their fault, but don't for a second think they have no power," Cassius answered. "A pawn can still defeat a King. That's why the men must be eliminated and the families split up. War is unpleasant. I know you have very strong feelings about this Safania, especially given your experience with Eir. But this is the kind of decision a leader has to make."

Safania took a deep breath to try to stay calm. Stay in control, she told herself. "It is precisely because of my experience that I am able to speak knowledgeably on this topic. A pawn can defeat a king no matter where you place it your highness - whether it's near other pawns or by itself."

The prince cocked his eyebrow. "So you're saying I should kill them all?"

"No!" Safania exclaimed. "You kill them all, you've just taken more pieces off the board. You haven't increased your advantage any."

"I've taken away the enemy's power."

"You've taken away one enemy's power without adding to your own."

The prince paused, looking at Safania carefully. "I'm listening."

"Let them all go. Make the men swear an oath to Peria and if they do so spare their lives. Allow the families to stay together. All of the nobles in the village, demote to maids and servants of the new Perian families that come to the village. Promote all of the low rank to standard villagers. Kill any of the nobles who refuse to accept their new station."

She limped towards him.

"Border villages are frequently conquered. Many in their village have probably died throughout the years fighting battles they were forced to fight. You give them a kingdom they feel part of, treat them with mercy and respect, and you will have added nearly 5000 people ready to fight to defend their king."

"It's a gamble," Cassius replied. "If the villagers decide to revolt, we could end up with multiple casualties. If they commit treason, we could end up with another army infiltrating the village. And so close to a military base. It's too risky."

"Your highness, I know what it's like out there. I know how people feel about their rulers. Please. I promise you this will work."

The prince looked at her with a serious expression. Finally, he gave one small nod.

"Admiral? Change of plans. Spare them all."

"Sir?" the admiral asked, confused.

"Make the men swear allegiance to Peria. Kill any who refuse. Make all of the nobles servants. Kill any who protest. After two weeks, if all goes well, start to move in the military families. And allow any villagers who are interested to move elsewhere in the kingdom. The men are also free to join our military, but they must undergo training. Make sure to separate them into different training camps."

"Your highness, this is unusual . . . " the admiral began.

"I'm aware," Cassius responded. "We're trying something new. But keep a rotating platoon in there for at least a month to monitor movement and make sure everything stays safe."

The admiral looked to the Cassius, then to Safania. Finally, he simply said, "Yes your highness," and left.

Cassius turned to Safania, with his signature, icy stare. "You've understood us the whole time."