Chapter 65

Safania's POV

We travelled for a full day when the rain began. "We can't travel in this weather," one of the soldiers told Cassius. "The paths will be completely washed out. The horses won't be able move."

Cassius nodded. "Let's set up camp for the night. Hopefully by morning the storm clears."

But by the next morning, the storm had grown even more intense. 

"Maybe we should go back to Abree," Alton suggested.

"We'll go the other way, along the coastline." Cassius replied. "It's rocky, so the road will be fine. Maybe a little slippery, but no mud and certainly not washed out. It would normally add another day to our trip, but in this weather, it will be faster and easier for the horses."

At the next intersection, instead of going back the way we came, we turned down a different, third road. It was treacherous and muddy for awhile, but quickly became rockier and until we were out of the forest and overlooking the Great Sea. The strong winds from the storm had conjured up massive waves. Despite being cold and soaked, I couldn't help but be impressed by the scene below me.

We travelled for a day along the shoreline until we set up camp for the evening. As badly as I wanted to be intimate with Cassius again, the weather and travel had completely drained all of our energy. We barely had enough strength to kiss a few times before we fell asleep holding each other.

The next morning, the weather had cleared. The sea had returned to normal, and some fluffy clouds floated in the sky. "Perfect," Cassius said. "We have about two days of travel left. Let's get going," he told the group.

The riding was much more enjoyable – the sun beaming down on us, the waves still crashing below, the temperature milder by the water than it would have been in the forest. I actually preferred this route to the one we took originally.

Sometime in the afternoon, I felt a strong push on my back. I stopped and turned around, but no one was behind me.

"What is it?" Cassius asked, riding alongside me.

I shook my head, confused. "I don't know." I felt another strong push, but this time it fell more like a tug - like something pulling me from an invisible rope attached to my stomach. I gripped onto my horse, worried I would fall off.

"Everyone, stop," the prince commanded. He dismounted from his horse and helped me get off mine.

"What's going on?" he asked me, concerned.

"I don't know," I told him. "I just feel like I'm supposed to go there," I said, pointing into the forest.

I expected Cassius to tell me I was acting crazy, but instead he nodded and stood up. "Safania and I are going to take a brief detour into the forest."

"Why?" one of the guards asked.

"If I thought you needed to know, I would have told you," Cassius said bluntly.

"Should we follow you?" another asked.

Cassius shook his head. "We'll call if we need help. For now, just enjoy the time you have to rest."

"I'm coming with," Alton told Cassius separately as we headed into the forest. "So am I," Emalina added.

"Alright," Cassius acquiesced.

The four of us walked for at least an hour, following the pulls I felt. They were fairly consistent – about one every minute – and they got stronger as we kept walking. In the back of my mind, I had a vague hope that this was how I could find the other marked women. We were in the west, which was where I had been told to go. And then they could help me learn how to control my abilities. But I tried to not get my hopes up.