Chapter 53

Safania's POV

The next morning I spent with Emalina, filling her in on the King's response to Cassius's proposal and how I was planning on leaving after Oske.

"Can I still come with you?" she asked, after I had finally finished.

"I don't think that's a good idea Em. I don't know exactly where I'm going and I can't keep you safe."

"But...you're my best friend."

"Em, I want so much for you. I want you to live your own life, not help me live mine. Besides, once I'm gone, Cassius is going to need you more than ever."

Emalina gave a sad smile. "You're probably right about that."

"It's just not safe. And if I'm constantly worried about protecting you, I can't protect myself. So I'll be no use to either of us."

Emalina nodded. "I know. I just...I don't want to see you go."

I could understand that – I didn't want to go either.

That afternoon, Cassius and I waited in his dining room for Lieutenant Ari. Lunch had already been served – delicious little sandwiches that on a normal day I would have devoured – but neither Cassius nor I had an appetite.

"Your highness," Lieutenant Ari said, bowing upon entry. I remember thinking he was handsome before, but he was even more so when I wasn't trying to run away from him like my life depended on it. He wore the same stern gaze as the prince, but that was where the similarities ended. He had brown, curly hair and he was shorter than I remembered – basically just as tall as I was. And he was slightly less muscular than Cassius. But he was undeniably attractive.

"Lieutenant," Cassius greeted him warmly. "Please come sit with us."

The Lieutenant sat at the table, his gaze darting between the two of us.

"You know my..." the prince stopped, realizing he had no idea how to refer to me. "You know Safania," he said.

The Lieutenant stared at me. "We've met," he said simply.

Cassius smiled. "Well, it sounds like met may be a bit of an understatement."

I maintained my eye contact with Lieutenant Ari, both of us staring each other down. Cassius cleared his throat.

"You will train Safania in sword fighting," Cassius said.

This finally broke the lieutenant's concentration. He turned to Cassius. "Absolutely not."

"And why is that?" Cassius asked.

"She's..." the Lieutenant began, seeming to be searching for the right objection. "She's a she," he finally finished.

"Are you really questioning my orders?" Cassius asked in a low, warning tone. It was a tone I hadn't heard him use in awhile - firm, assertive, confident.

And unbelievably sexy.

A look of fear quickly passed before the lieutenant's eyes before he regained his composure. "Of course not your highness. If you order me to train her, I will train her."

"I'm ordering you to train her," Cassius replied simply.

"Yes your highness. But your highness?"

"Yes?"

"She may get cuts or bruises through training. I will try my best not to harm her, but can you assure me that any incidental injuries will not result in punishment?"

"I'm a woman, not an egg!" I jumped in, outraged. "I'm not going to shatter if you hit me too hard. I can handle myself."

I saw Cassius smiling at me with a look of pride. He liked it when I stood up for myself, which was not necessarily a common trait among men throughout the nine kingdoms. I really was going to miss him.