Chapter 77

This chapter contains violence and references to sexual assault. Reader discretion is advised.

Third Person POV

It had been ten days since Safania was captured. Three days since Emalina saw Celine. Five days until the coronation.

"We can't count on Celine," Ari had said. "We don't have time. We have to plan like she isn't going to help us."

So ever since Celine left, the three had been strategizing. Each knew secret ways to get around the castle. Each of them knew most of the castle's layout by heart. They had drawn a map of as many details as they could remember.

That night, they gathered around Aliti's small table as usual, discussing their plan of attack. They had figured out their way into the castle and their way out, but they still didn't know what they were going to do while inside.

"What if we just focus on killing Alterius?" Ari had suggested.

"He'll be too heavily guarded." Alton replied. "And that won't help us figure out where Safania is. Not to mention that if Alterius dies, Melli is technically next in line, and that would hardly be an improvement."

The trio heard a knock at the door.

Aliti hushed them all and gestured for them to hide. The three each ducked behind different objects throughout the room. Satisfied that they were well-hidden, Aliti opened the door.

"Hello," Aliti greeted the visitor. "How can I help you?"

"I believe a young woman is staying here. Emalina?" a familiar, high-pitched voice came from the doorway.

"Your majesty!" Emalina exclaimed, exiting her hiding place. Ari and Alton also cautiously revealed themselves. Celine removed the large cloak she had been wearing as camouflage and stepped inside the cottage. 

"Did you find her?" Emalina asked.

"Yes..." Celine said hesitantly. "But I have some bad news."

"What is it?" Ari asked.

Celine sighed as she sat at the table. "First, the guard situation is going to be difficult to figure out. There are five guards – two at the front entrance to the dungeons, two outside Safania's cell in particular, and one that appears to roam between the two sets. There are also guards that cycle around the outside of the dungeons, so if they see that something is off, they'll sound an alarm."

"What if we take out those guards?" Ari asked.

Celine shook her head. "From what I could gather, all the guards check up on each other. So you would have to take out all the guards in the castle to prevent someone from noticing."

"What if we don't take out...we replace?" Alton asked. "I've heard that Alterius killed off all the guards he thought may be loyal to his father or brothers. That must mean he hired a bunch of new guards."

"That's true," Celine replied. "I don't recognize the majority of them."

"And they probably don't recognize each other. We wait for a shift change, take two of the soldiers coming from the fort and station them at the entrance."

"That could work..." Celine said. "But there's another problem. The lock to Safania's cell. It's a two key lock. The guards have one key, but Alterius has the other. And he wears it around his neck."

The trio fell silent. "Does he take it off for anything? Bed? Bathing?" Emalina asked.

Celine shrugged. "Not bed, but he might take it off in the bath...but how would that help you? He's going to notice immediately if it's not there when he gets out."