part 50

She lay in my arms, her heartbeat echoing through my body.

''Asa...my goddess. 'I whispered into her soft curls.

She groaned, her eyes screwed up, rolling away from me. I at once felt the loss – not only of her heat but more importantly she was no longer a part of me.

''come back to me, Asaroul...'' I called into her dream.

She groaned again before speaking in our tongue ''Ragnar... leave me be...''

I stilled- she was seeing father. Why did she not tell me? I stared locked in my body seeing my situation: reaching out for this spellbinding woman who was bringing so much change in such a short time...

''please...'' her voice broke my state of mind. It was small and fragile. A child's voice.

But then again- she was still a child no matter how capable ...

''damn.'' I moved over and wrapped my arm around her waist to pull her back to me.

She didn't struggle but her muscle became rigid with fear. Once she was next to my chest, I caressed her cheek as I kissed her curls.

''you have set my heart on fire- I want you and need you... I want you to be happy... wherever your path takes you.''

She relaxed into me slowly, pressing into my chest, her small hand found its place over my heart. I couldn't stop my smile. Lying with her I was in a dream, but I had to prepare. Kattegat was only two days away... Torvi would be waiting at the harbour.

How would I face her?

How would Asa?

''Bjorn...'' she mumbled into my chest

I put thoughts of the future aside as I settled into her embrace filled with memories of pleasure as I faded into a dream.

The world was cold and baron- the land muddied and stained with blood. I was in England...

''Memories- wicked things.'' Ragnar's voice came from behind me. I didn't like that hearing his voice made my heart leap like seeing the sun after lonely months of night.

I turned around to face him, he stood a spears length from me, I could see the mischief in his bright blue eyes.

''you're visiting me – I'm honoured- '' I began- the memory of his name on Asa's lips souring my mind. ''though I thought I would have to deal with you eventually – you've been disturbing my woman.''

Ragnar barked with laughter holding his sides as he continued to chuckle – like he had on the farm...

''what is so funny, old man?'' I stared at him with anger because anything else would have brought down the sky on my head- I couldn't grieve him yet.

He rose, beginning to compose himself as he spoke ''you think that she is yours boy?'' he sniffed the air. ''this smell- the days after a battle... this is what she belongs to Bjorn.'' He met my eyes with his intimidating blue orbs. '' she is beyond mortal men- she is a creature of the gods. And she will break you as mercilessly as Hel's own hound.''

I stepped back. Feeling the cold mud suck my boot further into the earth, a chill ran up my spine, I looked around to see the fog smother the trees. It encircled Ragnar and me.

Then a noise came from within the clouded mass; a low growl that hit my chest with strange force.

I tried to scan the periphery for any sign of the beast, but the fog obscured everything.

''what is it?'

''it is the vanguard- the one who will ensure that your seer stays on the gods' path.'' Ragnar answered still staring at me as I listened for the threat. A crunch like broken bone came from behind.