part 58

AN: hello again all*awkward wave* new chapter with some...twists.  I hope you have been well and that the January blues haven't hit you too hard - thankfully January ends- though blues are immortal they can give us some great inspiration! *if I say it long enough I might believe it :D

in any case, I hope you enjoy the chapter and ill see you at the end. xx

''what was that?!'' I heard lagertha question her daughter.

''she is remembering....'' Gyda replied calmly.

My eyes fluttered open, and I saw the strange matt grey sky. As I stared into the contours of the winter clouds, I felt the tears prickling my eyes as they began to pour forth.

I was silent as the warm trails were soon bit by the frigid air.

The scenes of torment had felt real and the man- my father fighting to find me... the vision struck deep sending out ripples of undulating emotions.

Fear. Grief. Hate. Loneliness.

I had a family – I always knew I must have; but to remember the love that they gave to remember the place they held in my heart- and to have it now hollow and cold. It felt like a crushing and devastating awakening to a harsh reality.

And I had thought, foolishly, that I was prepared to face the harsh future... I had forgotten how the past can cripple us from behind.

''girl? - are you back?'' Lagertha came to lean over me staring into what was a grief-stricken face.

I didn't answer.

I tried my best to stare beyond her into the sky sure I would spot the sun through the blanket of clouds.

''the Lady needs space mother- she has seen the truth...''

Gyda tried to guide her mother away, but the queen was not satisfied with her daughter's cryptic answer – and neither was I.

As Gyda jostled with her mother I readied myself, leveraging the slight angle of the crag we were on, and threw myself to come to a stand. I turned quickly to see that lagertha and Gyda were still bickering as family will...

The sight spurred me on. I moved to the edge silently, where the trees had revealed Gyda. I stared in for a few moments, searching for a sign.

Then a sliver of white crossed the blackness of the forest.

''my lady?''

''yes'' I didn't look at her or lagertha – I was sure Gyda already knew my intentions.

''girl- '' lagertha began.

''my name is not girl- '' I turned one gold eye to her then. Gyda was beginning to panic. ''my name, dear queen, is Asaroul.''

With a smirk at her bemused expression, I bolted into the darkness of the trees.

''my lady, no!'' Gyda's shriek faded quickly as I was consumed by the forest.

My feet beat into the frozen earth as I chased the sliver of shimmering white. I didn't know what it was, but I had a guess.

I was in the goddess Hel's domain. And if she was anything like the stories I remembered – or just remembered- then she was not a goddess oft sought out.

But I had too. I had to find answers to these new memories and the feelings they conjured. I had to keep running so as not to break from the storm that was raging in my chest.

the white ghost was becoming larger. But I didn't feel I was catching up- it was leading me. I trampled over rocks and brittle twigs, but my feet were swift and made little sound. Lagertha was not as adept as I. She reminded me of her son as I heard her and Gyda entered the forest. But I couldn't afford to turn back. Who knew if my herald would tire of waiting.