part 60

hello *I say slinking back onto the internet* I haven't been active but a lot has happened... which I don't need to go into- instead, please enjoy another chapter 

I am very grateful I was able to write this chapter - it was cathartic for me. i wish you a great day and I hope you know you're not alone in this struggle . xxx

Once outside of the hall tori and Hilda lead us to a hut - for the guests of the jarl apparently- though it was as rustic as the great hall; it made up for its faults few rooms with well furred beds and privacy curtains hung. The simple luxury meant that we were able to wash and redress into the more practical garb.

the bedroom area had been made up for two, until Tanaruz used her new language to tell the warriors to put the large beds together. Magda and others moved the furniture to accommodate for Tanaruz's mistrust. And I could see the same feeling reflected in them- her performance in the hall had not earned her friends amongst what were to be our new people... the people of my ancestors...

Either way we were restless that first night; Tanaruz scowled at the partitions before her tiredness overcame her. Jasmine was soundly asleep in my bed, curled up so small that she looked infantile, she clutched onto my nightgown tightly. Aziza and I were the last.

We were silent with the girls asleep between us. Aziza stared ahead at the curtains that lead into the hall. I looked over her dark skin slightly illuminated by the distant torch light; her profile was that of a queen. She held her head high and gave nothing away with her expression.

A short laugh broke the silence- it came from around d the hearth where Hilda and three others were on watch. with the new queen on the throne things were unstable in this kingdom... which was dangerous for us.

''so, this is to be the beginning of a new life?'' Aziza spoke but did not take her eyes from the direction of the door.

''I guess we can look at it that way...'' I didn't know what to say to her- we had been thrown together by fate- by the gods...

''well...'' she opened before turning to stare at me ''what do you see for us?''

Her question should not have thrown me as much as it did- it was only natural to ask if I had seen our future... whether I could change it or not.

''my... power, doesn't seem to work that way...'' I said bowing my head to look on the young girls- Tanaruz even scowled in her sleep.

''then how does it work?'' Aziza's voice was calm and steady as she probed expertly- trained. As I had been? No... she wouldn't have survived that... and been so human.

''I am unsure- even now'' I confessed turning my attention to the curtain which now shifted from a breeze...

''I know little of my childhood- at least, I knew less before I came here...'' when she didn't interrupt me, I sighed as I decided to try and explain what my life had been. ''a fire took my home- that was all I knew. I was taken by a man, a general, to his emperor as a gift. I never found out how they had found me- but it didn't matter then- it was already ashes scattered by the dessert winds...''

''the emperor was... pleasant- at first. He would read to me and ask me many questions to test me. then...'' I could feel a cold damp settle on my skin as the memories came. Of the cave where I had been... transformed... into a monster. ''he gave me to his witches- they did this to me'' i trailed a finger over the dulling gold that painted my scarred skin.

''spells.'' Aziza said needing no confirmation.

''after that whatever my power had been, it became distorted- my thoughts were no longer my own. I was a vessel that did the emperors bidding – I won him battles; i revealed his enemies; I killed for his love...'' my chest ached with the shame of who I had been- a puppet. Of weak will and no substance...