Part 35

Things settled eventually – Floki returned to his fire and food. Tori stood ''on watch'' though his eyes stayed in the grove wondering paths only his mind could tread.

'Magda' Bjorn turned away from me to address the Viking woman. Who though she stood to attention betrayed herself with glances directed at the oblivious Aziza- something to watch.

'' go recruit some me- shieldmaidens'' he emphasised that part which Magda nodded along to to show she understood his meaning-we all did ''I don't want anymore trouble coming from this land of moors...''

I couldn't restrain my eyebrows from leaping up my forehead at his last comment- as far as I was aware the only 'trouble' he had run into was me. I began to twitch with a sudden hot anger that I forced myself to stifle as aziza joined me to move Jasmine.

Somehow in the time that passed, I noticed Aziza had become the go between for the hostages and Vikings. She seemed to show no fear amongst the savages and I soon realised why. Though she moved as languidly as a lioness she couldn't help the awkward tilt of her left arm. The stiffness in her fingers one could attribute to her being truly nervous but I knew- she forced them straight to stop them from instinctively covering her cargo. As she reached for a pot in the fire's light a bears head came to life as it peaked from her sleeve almost threatening to roar and alert everyone to his presence. She covered herself masterfully with a quick tug of material the little bear was gone. She glanced around the tent seemingly taking in the new faces – no one had noticed.

Aziza was certainly proving to be a good friend to have.

Once she had done her task she always returned to Jasmine and I who now sat in the corner of this sitting area.

Magda had brought six shieldmaidens back with her and once Bjorn was apparently satisfied with who had been chosen he returned to camp without another glance my way. Maybe it was for the best...

Burning... delight...destruction... deliver them!

The fich fich had been persistent with its inane nattering and I found it hard to stay present.

The women worked in shifts of three – three rested while the others were on patrol outside of the tent. Of course, those who claimed to rest never really did as their bodies continuously compensated for the openings created by their comrades. They sat facing into the tent witht heir backs to those on watch – we were most definitely trapped.

Magda sat opposite the resting women surveying the entirety of the sitting area from her position. That was amidst the battle she had trying to pull her gaze from Aziza.

Having the shieldmaidens with u did make me feel safer- so long as they were loyal to Bjorn I believed that they would keep us safe.

But then again I had already seen one loyalty tested and broken by my presence – two if you counted that between Fell and Tori.

So only the god's could know what would happen in time- well I could as well if I could ever figure out my esoteric riddles presented to me by the beyond- a fickle gift indeed.

The fich fich continued and did not help my sullen mood.

Burning worlds... golden shores...fractured viels...-was their current tune mingled with the inaudible mutterings which felt like they might spill from my head.i was becoming pensive- a leashed animal bound by ties which I seemed to have happily wrapped around my own neck. It was all building to a volcanic end.

A soft whimper came from my lap.

Jasmine had finally laid her head down to fall helplessly to the embrace of sleep. Her small hands clung to my soiled shirt as she dreamt. I stroked her head softly and the tight expression she had faded to one of calm.

''why don't you get changed'' Aziza proffered. It was then I was reminded that I had frizzed hair dried in tats and soile clothes on – I must have looked a state. Whilst everyone else had changed into woollen dresses.

I looked down at the shrinking girl.

''I'll watch her- she needs you in peak condition- trust me you don't ant to get sick at sea...''

I nodded I knew only too well she was right. ''you're right- who shall i- I mean where do I get the clothes?''

'' Don't worry I'll ask !'' Aziza chirped before hopping to her feet and being on her way

Over to magda's side ...?

The Viking woman's gaze was intense as she surveyed the tents occupants- then her icy blue eyes noticed Aziza's approach and melted into water welcoming waters. Aziza walked with a confidence that could have been because she was probably the deadliest one in this tent or... either way, there was o mistaking the unsure smile that sprouted on Magda's face as she welcomed Aziza at her side- a seed had taken root...

Magda's eyes looked into Aziza's eyes attentively and when Aziza opened her mouth to speak I half expected her to reveal that she had been Viking the whole time.

''Wooo.'' She said quite slowly with great effort.

For a moment it acted like a spell freezing us all – everyone in unified in our shared state of utter confusion- transcending boundaries <3

But then the trickles came – people began to crack. Their eyes widened and lips crushed themselves trying, all, to keep the façade of a hostage situation. Alas, all was in vane as tittles and chuckles erupted into teary eyed wild laughter from our captors; peeps of mirth came from the noblewoman who had been still in the corner like ghosts.

Even Floki sniggered like a hyena.

Aziza was not amused. She pinned me with a steely gaze which made me nip my lip as I quickly shut my mouth before she tried to quell the joviality which had taken the vikings- If looks could kill Aziza would find a way.

The only one who had retained some semblance of seriousness and dignity was Magda- she restrained her laughter, which could only be detected in the slight welling in her eyes, masterfully.

Aziza spun to face Magda with a look of hot anger before she raised her voice in frustration to say ''Woo- Woo!'' she repeated emphatically. It only served to heighten the barking of the shieldmaidens to uncontrolled cackles as they rocked and trembled with laughter.

I coughed to restrain my own amusement which seemed so misplaced- I really had no idea what she meant but... it was like thunder in the air discharging and bringing a sweet breeze. I heard a a trill bubble of laughter came from behind me. Jasmine covered her mouth looking down with a desperate look of joy that wasn't supposed to be surprising herself most of all. She glowed in my shadow.

Aziza looked as if she might draw the blade to defend her honour. Thankfully, she gave a loaded sigh before turning to Magda once more with an overly intense stare that made the Viking knock back an amusement she felt to focus on Aziza. Aziza again said slowly ''wooo.''

And by the heavens, the laughter only got louder with some sort of manic hysteria which served as prompting for Aziza to grab a fistful of her dress and shout ''by the goddess – woo!''

Laughed turned to fearful chokes as Magda's chilling gaze of authority fell on each of us as a signal for silence. She turned back to Aziza satisfied by the gritted silence saying calmly and plainly ''you mean 'wool' – 'woo-l'' Magda gave Aziza a smile that was so sweet and yet suited her features naturally as if she should look like that all the time. ''you want a 'dress' for the seer'' Magda said it all rather matter-of-fact as if it should've been easily understood by all of us that 'woo' meant exactly that.

I bowed my head in some form of defeat as I realised that there was no stopping what was going to happen- and I didn't need a vision to show me it.

hi everyone hope you're still enjoying the story and continue to read xxx