33

I'm so, so, so sorry. 

- A x

---

My body ached as the tall alien-like figure who was referred to as Ebony Maw threw me against a wall once more. I growled in pain as I tried to inhale, yet my chest felt like daggers stabbing through my ribs every time attempted. I grit my teeth and stand up again, pulling out a hidden dagger and thrashing at Maw. He caught my hand and laughed, bending my arm back. I felt a click, and then burning pain. I cried out and fell to my knees.

"Not only are you a woman, naturally weak," Maw spat. "But you are a woman who has just given birth. You are nothing. You have fulfilled your purpose. You can let go now."

"You touch her. And I will make sure I kill you myself." Loki growled from behind him, being held back by Thanos's arm. I looked up at Loki, feeling defeated. 

"Where are they hiding?" Maw spat, growing impatient. (y/n) had managed to hide some Asgardians within the rubble of the ship Thanos brought down. I refuse to give up their position. I will not let any more die. I would not let her sons die. I lift my chin up to meet his beady eyes, feeling a strong surge of hatred overcome the overwhelming pain.

"I will die before I betray my people," I growl, cradling her broken arm gently. Maw scoffed.

"Useless whore." He flicked his wrist and the world went spinning once more as I flew into the rubble.

Loki's POV

I don't even think before I lurch towards Maw, but Thanos's arm holds me back.

"You all do not understand the meaning behind this." He said, matter-of-factly. "Hear me, and rejoice. You have had the privilege of being saved by the Great Titan. You may think this is suffering. No...It is salvation." 

I feel anger surge through me as Maw stresses that last word. I take the opportunity during his monologue to look over at where (y/n) had landed, noticing she had gotten up and slipped behind the rubble, out of sight. I allow myself to let out a quiet sigh of relief. 

"Universal scales tip towards balance because of your sacrifice," Maw continued. "Smile, because even in death you have become Children of Thanos."

The Titan let go of me, and he walked down toward the opening of the ship, looking out onto space.

"I know what it's like to lose," He started. "To feel so desperately that you're right, but to fail, nonetheless." He leans down and picks up Thor by his chest plate, lifting him as if he were a feather.

"It's frightening. Turns the legs to jelly." Thanos's righteous tone did not match up with his evil actions, I find myself angry that he believes what he's doing is right. I look around at my people, dead, and find it hard to side with him. "I ask you, to what end? Dread it. Run from it. Destiny arrives all the same. And now, it's here. Or should I say...I AM." 

"You talk too much." Thor groaned, in pain. Thanos turned to me with a smirk.

"The tesseract... or your brothers head. I assume you have a preference."

"Oh, I do. Kill away." I snarled.

Your POV

Loki kept his eyes on Thanos as he places the power stone on Thor's temple, Thor roaring in pain as it makes contact with him. I hold back a sob as I turn round to the group of Asgardians huddled under corpses and rubble. I hold a hand up, indicating for them to stay quiet. My hand was shaking so violently that I know I didn't do a good job keeping them calm.

"Alright STOP." Loki's cry makes my head snap back around. 

"We don't have the tesseract. It was destroyed on Asgard."

My heart stops as I watch Loki begin to materialise the tesseract in his hand. No.

"You really are the worst, brother." Thor moaned in pain.

"I assure you brother," Loki said sadly. "The sun will shine on us again."

"Your optimism is misplaced, Asgardian."

"Well for one thing," Loki began, looking over his shoulder at Thor before turning to Thanos. "I'm not Asgardian. And second of all..., we have a hulk."

At that moment Loki lept out of the way and chaos erupted. He wasted no time running towards me hiding behind the rubble. He grabbed me close and kissed me passionately. I felt him sob into the kiss.

"No matter what happens... I will find my way back to you. I promise. I love you so, so much." He pulled back and searched my eyes for answers.

"I love you too, Loki. Please stay with me."

"You know I can't do that."

"I know." I sobbed, hugging him tightly.

"I will find my way back. Even if you think it is impossible." He assured. He placed one last, fleeting kiss on my lips and turned to see Thanos stab Heimdall through the heart. I felt my stomach drop as I stepped forward to help my friend. Lokis strong arms stopped me easily.

"Do not move from here, (y/n). I'm serious."

"Loki, I-"

"I need you to trust me."

"I trust you." He smiled sadly.

"You were the only person who ever really did."

And with that, he turned and left, entering the conversation once more.

"If I might, interject... If you're going to Earth, you might want a guide. I do have a bit of experience in that arena." He said with a smirk, slipping into his sly character easily.

"If you consider failure experience," Thanos said plainly.

"I consider experience, experience. Almighty Thanos. I, Loki, Prince of Asgard... Odinson... The rightful King of Jotunheim, God of Mischief, do hereby pledge to you, my undying fidelity."

Loki jumped up, a dagger aimed at Thanos's throat. I couldn't hold myself back any longer, screaming and running out as blue energy stopped Loki's hand from going near Thanos. Maw caught me and held me back with a tight grip. I screamed for Loki, and he turned around, looking at me with a pained look. 

Even if you think it's impossible...

Thanos takes Loki's arm with his own.

"'Undying'. You should choose your words more carefully." He threw the dagger to the floor and grips Loki by the throat. 

"You... will never be...." Loki chokes through gasping breaths. "....a god."

He went blue, and Thanos drops him to the floor. Maw lets go of me and I fly to his side. I check for a pulse. I check for any sign of life. I pray. He is dead.

I will find my way back.

I lean over Loki with pained screams leaving my mouth. I grip onto him, begging for him to come back. Begging for me to wake up. This can't be happening.

"Let her live," Thanos says with a smirk. I look up to see Maw's blade pointed at me, ready to strike. "Let her live with the blessing she has been spared by Thanos. Start afresh, for your sons, my child." 

"I would rather die," I spat, "than live in a world where you have jurisdiction."

Thanos simply chuckles.

"My work here is done."