Chapter 1

Once upon a time the undecaying Vishnu slept and was immersed in sleep in Narayana hermitage,which was his own hermitage. It is said that the great souled one slept for one thousand years. Krita yuga passed , so did treta yuga. At the end of Dwapara yuga, the maharishis saw the worlds were extremely miserable and praised the undecaying one, seeking to awake him.

" Abandon this natural sleep . With Brahma and all the God's are here to see you . O Hrishikesha !  The rishis are praising you. These elements , earth, space, fire, wind and water and creatures are part of your soul. The seven sages along with other sages are chanting your divine praises . O lotus eyed one! Arise . Arise O Padmanabha. "

Hrishikesha arose in his supreme form. As he arose the darkness of the entire universe started dispelling. With his eyes rested from sleep, he saw the assembled God's, rishis, maharishis along with their grandfather Lord Brahma.

" O God's ! With whom is your conflict with? Why are you all so fearful? From where has this fear arisen? What has caused difficulties for men? I have abandoned my supreme bed and wish to do good for you. Tell me, what can I do for you? "

On hearing his words, the grandfather of the worlds spoke, " O destroyer of Asuras! As long as you are there , the God's have no fear. Men who are devoted towards Dharma are free from fear. Everyone is devoted to the vedas. Due to their powers, Vasava showers auspicious rains at the right time. There are no calamities in the path of earth and other planets. The moon has amiable conjunctions with the nakshaktras and sun moves along it's two paths. The fire is satisfied and with everything conducted properly the Earth is satisfied too. However there are some powerful kings that are afflicting the Earth. Because of the oppression of these kings the Earth is unsatisfied and appeared before us. The strength and power of the kshatriya men are agitating the Earth. For relieving this burden of the Earth, it is appropriate that the kings be slain.Let us therefore have a consultation and with Earth at the forefront , let us go to the summit of Meru."

In a voice that was like thundering of the clouds, Shri Hari agreed to this. He left like a mountain tinged with lightening. He was adorned with pearls and jewels. He was radiant in his dark complexion. There was dazzling hairs on his broad chest. The beautiful srivatsa mark was stretched between his two nipples. He was clad in yellow garments . He was seen as a mountain, tinged by the evening light. He departed on Suparna. Not taking their eyes off him the God's followed him.

They reached the bejewelled mountain

They reached the bejewelled mountain. In the sky there, they saw the assembly hall , which could assume any form at  will. It was divine and constructed by Vishwakarma himself. The foundations were made of golden pillars and the doors were encrusted with diamonds . Garlanded with large numbers of vimanas it was colorful. There were nets that were made out of precious gems. The flowers blossomed everywhere. It was full of celestial maya.

Urged by Lord Brahma , Lord Vayu asked everyone to be quiet. The Earth spoke , " In ancient times  I was struck by daitya Bali and saved by Lord Vishnu himself  . He protected me through his powers. I am afflicted again and have come before Gadadhara. I am without a protector and he is the protector of the universe. Narayana is my perceptor. It is for my sake that there have been conflicts in this world. I am suffering from great burden . Do this compassion for me and let the handsome one who wields the chakra grant me from freedom of fear. "

On hearing Earth's words all the residents of the heaven thought what might be done for her and spoke to Lord Brahma, " O illustrious one! Act so that the Earth's burden may be reduced. There are tasks that have to be performed by the Great Indra , Yama, Varuna, the Lord of riches, Narayana himself , the moon, the sun , the Adityas, the Vasus, the Rudras, the Ashvins, the Sadhyas who resides in heaven, Brihaspati ,  Ushanas , Time , Kali, Maheshwara , Brahma, Vishakha Guha, the yakshas , the rakshasas, the gandharwas, the charnas, the giant serpents, the mountains, the oceans, the waves, the divine rivers like Ganga and other celestial rivers. O Lord! Quickly instruct them about the portion they should resort to "

He spoke these words, " Your resolution is agreeable to me . Use your energy to create your respective portions , which are equal to you on Earth . Let the best among the Gods use their energy to be reincarnated ."