Chapter 4

Pandu consulted the great rishis and instructed Kunti to observe a sacred vow for one year.

Pandu himself stood on one leg for a year immersed in supreme meditation. He started several austerities to impress the Lord of Heaven.

He stood in one place for the gratification of Lord of celestials. He did not mind the ache his body felt while standing on one leg for the whole year.

The surroundings with beautiful cliffs and trees echoed with the prayers of Pandu. The trees bend scantily as if offering prayers to Shakra themselves. The animals that resided in those areas fell asleep as if the Lord himself is singing beautiful lullabies.

सहस्त्रनेत्राय विद्महे वज्रहस्ताय धीमहि तन्नो इन्द्रः प्रचोदयात् ||

Om Sahastranetraay Vidmahe Vajra Hastaay Dheemahi Tanno Indrah Prachodayat.

( Om, Let us meditate on Indra, the Lord with a thousand eyes. May that great God who holds the invincible thunderbolt in his hand inspire and illumine our minds and understandings.)

These mantras chanted by Pandu were gratifying the surrounding environment as an indication of the Lord being happy by these chants.

सहस्त्रनेत्राय विद्महे वज्रहस्ताय धीमहि तन्नो इन्द्रः प्रचोदयात् ||

Lord Indra heard these chants that were echoing not only in Shatashringa but also in heaven. The Lord knew that time has come for the incarnation of Lord Nara who would be born through his Teja.

सहस्त्रनेत्राय विद्महे वज्रहस्ताय धीमहि तन्नो इन्द्रः प्रचोदयात् ||

He closed his eyes feeling the devotion of Pandu to beget a son who would be like him.

सहस्त्रनेत्राय विद्महे वज्रहस्ताय धीमहि तन्नो इन्द्रः प्रचोदयात् ||

A smile stretched on his face while he remembered the several austerities and valour his son would perform.

सहस्त्रनेत्राय विद्महे वज्रहस्ताय धीमहि तन्नो इन्द्रः प्रचोदयात् ||

Lord Nara would finally be born as Arjuna, the soulmate of Krishna who was Narayana himself.

सहस्त्रनेत्राय विद्महे वज्रहस्ताय धीमहि तन्नो इन्द्रः प्रचोदयात् ||

He finally decided to respond after a long time and gratified Pandu with his sight.
Pandu felt extremely happy and folded his hands while bending down slightly. He offered his prayers to Shakra and told his wish to have a son like him. To which Shakra responded," I will give you a son who will destroy all his enemies "

After the Vasava had spoken to Kuru King ,Pandu spoke to Kunti," Devoted to morality, great-souled, radiant as the sun, invincible, action-oriented, extremely wonderful to look at and endowed with Kshatriya energy—this is the son we will receive through the grace of the king of the gods. Summon him.”

At these words Kunti summoned Shakra. The Lord of the Gods arrived and Arjuna was born from him.

As soon as he was born the invisible voice was heard with thundering and deep roar ,“O Kunti! He will be like Kartavirya and Shibi in prowess, invincible like Indra. He will spread your fame everywhere.As Vishnu increased Aditi’s happiness, like Vishnu, Arjuna will increase your happiness. He will bring under his sway the countries of Madra, Kuru, Kekaya, Chedi, Kashi and Karusha and establish the prosperity of the Kurus. Through the valour of his arms, Havyavahana will be supremely satisfied with the fat of all beings in Khandava. With his brothers, this immensely strong warrior will vanquish all small chiefs and perform three sacrifices. O Kunti! In valour, he will be the equal of Vishnu and Jamadagni’s son Rama. He will be the greatest among those endowed with valour and he will be invincible. He will acquire all kinds of divine weapons. He will be a bull among men and he will regain the lost fortune "

When Kunti was in the delivery room she heard these wonderful words and felt immensely blessed. Tears of joy fell from her eyes. She sighed in happiness while being in labour pain. Even if the pain was immense her joy was not hidden when she heard those words. She could not wait to hold him and hide him in the cocoon of her motherly love. The voice was not wrong when it said Arjuna's birth will increase her happiness just like Vishnu increased Aditi's happiness. She could feel the happiness even before her son was born.

" My little Arjuna, your mother can't wait to hold you " she sighed happily.

Pandu's condition was no less. A year of severe meditation will finally fructify. A lone teardrop fell from his eyes. He sighed in happiness while the lone tear continued to provide coolness to his passionate emotions .

The ascetics who lived in Shatashringa also heard these loud words and they were supremely delighted. And Arjuna was finally born.