Chapter 12

With time, all of them grew. The lap which was previously occupied by Arjun was now occupied by Sehdev. The people presented there were in awe of Pandu's sons. Arjun had also grown. Seeing his mother occupied with his younger brothers, his elder brothers busy with the Rishis, he has started to find solace in the nature. The young fellow loved to roam, loved to feel dust scrubbing his naked small feet and then dipping them in river.

Forest life was hard. Begging for alms to fill their needs was a reality.  Sweets, things made of milk were only for big occasions. Fruits and roots were their go to food. Deterioration. That's what he felt. He felt his hunger deteriorating everytime he eats. If not for the sake of living, Arjun knew he wouldn't eat.

Looking at his bow he suddenly felt surreal. Today his father presented him with this. It wasn't big as his father's bow but it fitted perfectly in his hands. A small bow made of wood. It was carved beautifully and Arjun knew his father has carved it himself. He felt grateful.

His eyes twinkled, looking at this bow. When his father asked him to chose any weapon that he felt interested in, this bow took all his attention. Even after knowing his son's preference Pandu again asked him. It was the first time little Arjun walked by himself, bowed down with folded hands and selected his life purpose. Bows felt like a life purpose to him .

The bow became his companion in a very short period of time. He felt like keeping it with him always. He liked how his fingers felt on the bow string.  It's roughness brought calmness in Arjun's heart.

He knew his relation with his bow was of give and take. The more he gives to it, the more this bow will return it.

He then looked at his arrows.  They were sharp and pointed.  They looked lethal.  It had white and red feathers. Those feathers moved with the wind. The arrows taught him something. Just like a sharp and deadly arrow always ends with beautiful feathers, he should also always be humble and kind even after he becoming a good warrior. Feathers were arrows identity, they showed to which warrior they belonged to. Just like that humbleness should be his identity.

He kept his bow down and went towards the river. Taking water from the leaf made bowl he returned to where his bow was kept. 

He stood up in front of it and bowed down praying to it.  He remembered Lord Shiv, the beholder of Pinaka bow, the one who is the greatest archer and offered the water to his bow. He prayed for the calmness, patience and perseverance that he would require learning it.

After offering his prayers to his bow, he again took it in his hold and went towards the Shiva temple.

He bowed down towards the idol of Lord  Shiva and Goddess Parvati and then started reciting his prayers.

He then offered prayers to Lord Ganesha, Lord Kartikeya, the God of wars and Nandi.

After finishing his prayers which reached Kailash and had the ability to shake even heaven, he then lied down there in the shelter of Lord Shiva temple hugging his bow.

Lying down there in their shelter felt like surrender. Surrender to the Almighty.
He always had difficulty in sleeping but sleep always came to him naturally in front of the idol of Lord Shiva and Goddess Pravati.

He closed his eyes and tried to imagine the sound of Lord Shiva damru, the two headed drum and the Prakriti soulful voice. He soon felt sleep overtaking him like the Goddess Uma in reality sang a lullaby to him and Lord Shiva played his damru for him.

Since infancy Arjun only had few dreams. But those dreams were always of a blue light illuminating in dark. A peacock feather flying trying to lead him somewhere. A distant flute calling him towards himself.

The dream always ended there. Everytime he tried to reach to the person who mesmerized him with his flute. He always ended up waking.

But today was a little different. Today along with flowing peacock feather, blooming flowers which looked like they were dancing to the flute. He also heard a voice.....

" Parth "