Chapter 8

The next morning brought the anticipation for Kunti. The sun was shining luminously, not providing any soothing caresses to her anticipating sweating palms. Her sitting near the fire cooking the food didn't help at all. Madri was attending to Pandu, Yudhisthira and Bheem.

Pandu was feeding morsels to Bheema and Yudhisthira, while occasionally patting Arjuna who was resting on his lap. Her eyes relaxed at the view and she suddenly felt a cool wind caress her body as well as her soul. The view calmed her agitated senses while a smile formed on her beautiful face.

Her eyes gazed toward Arjuna who was looking at his father with awestruck eyes while his hands were touching his father's bow. She sighed. " Her son and his obsession with bow ". Bows have always attracted Arjuna. There were numerous toys that his father made for him but his hands always went towards the bow. Sometimes it scared her, the way he holds the string. She remembered the first time he did it, she couldn't help but feel scared for him at that time. She had rushed towards him anticipating he might cut himself. Her worry wasn't wrong though. He wasn't even one year old. His tiny hands wouldn't be able to tolerate the sharpness of the string.

She remembered herself as terrified of the situation that time. She complained to Pandu and asked him to keep bows and arrows away from Arjuna.

" He will make himself bleed," She remembered her words.

Coming back to the present, she went toward her son and removed his fingers from the string.

" Arya, how many times I have told you to keep bows away from him. He will hurt himself. " Kunti sighed.

" Don't worry " Pandu replied.

" But...." Kunti continued.

" Kunti, I understand your concern. But this little one has his life path. Let him feel the roughness of the string as it could become a reality of his in future. Let him explore. Let his conscience guide him. It is the wings that are being made, don't cut them before they evolve " Pandu answered back.

Kunti gazed at Arjuna who was looking at the bow. His eyes were filled with interest while it travelled from one end of the bow to the other.

Pandu brought Arjuna closer to him and said," Never curb your spirit, my child. Weapons are an integral part of a warrior's life, my little warrior! They support you always. They stay with you always. They reward you, in the same manner, you treat them. Even humans fail to do this. Weapons are warrior's God, my child! Pray to them. Treat them with respect. Never disrespect your or other's weapon. A true warrior would never do this. Weapons are respectable no matter who they belong to. The warrior class has always been necessary in the world for protecting society. The occupational duties of warriors demand that they be brave and even willing to lay down their lives, if required, for the protection of society. May Lord Mahadeva provide you with strength and valour. May he be the one who would confirm your archery capabilities, my little archer. "

Arjuna listened to it silently. He was too small to comprehend the meaning of the words that are being to him by his father. But it traced on his mind.

He smiled at his father who in return kissed him on his nose, " Always be humble ". These three words, his father spoke a lot as if engraving them in his mind.

It was Pandu's habit to keep on telling Arjuna things related to warriors. He just felt that he needed to teach him as early as possible. There was a feeling of not being able to do so in the future.

" You wanted to talk about something, " Kunti said referring to the words that he spoke to her last night.

Pandu gazed at Kunti, then at Madri.

" Yes, but not now. In the afternoon." Pandu answered back.

" But I have to go and collect woods for the dinner," Kunti said

" Madri would do it. Would you Madri? " Pandu asked Madri who nodded her head.

" Bheema would leave with Yudhisthira today for the homas and the feast afterwards. Who would stay with Arjuna for the time being? " Pandu questioned

" Don't worry. I will ask the Padma if she could stay with him. " Kunti replied.

" It wouldn't take much time, would it? I can't leave the kids alone for a longer period" Kunti asked.

" No, it wouldn't " He replied smilingly while again turning his attention towards his children.

He patted both Bheema and Yudhisthira, then turned his gaze back to Arjuna.

" If your mother agrees today. You might have a little sibling soon. I know you will take care of them. My little Arjuna would not be little anymore, he would turn into an elder brother. " Pandu thought.

Bhagavad - gita

यदृच्छया चोपपन्नं स्वर्गद्वारमपावृतम् |
सुखिन: क्षत्रिया: पार्थ लभन्ते युद्धमीदृशम् ||

yadṛichchhayā chopapannaṁ swarga-dvāram apāvṛitam
sukhinaḥ kṣhatriyāḥ pārtha labhante yuddham īdṛiśham

O Parth, happy are the warriors to whom such opportunities to defend righteousness come unsought, opening for them the stairway to the celestial abodes.