Chapter 3

After the deer's death, Pandu decided to seek salvation and follow a meritorious way of life. He tied himself to extreme austerities. His wives also joined him. He lived on roots and fruits. He along with his wives went to the mountain named Nagasabha. He then went to Chaitraratha
and crossed the Varishsena . Then he crossed the Himalayas and went to Gandhmandana. He further went to lake Indradyumna and crossed Hansakuta. Then the ascetic king arrived at Shatashringa.

He soon became a favourite of the Sidhas and the charnas . Rishis treated him like a son while many found him a brother and friend figure. He was devoted to dharma and was in control of his senses. He soon became a Brahmarshi. With his wives, he wished to attain heaven but was stopped midway because of not having offspring. He got worried as he remembered that his procreative powers had been lost due to the deer's curse.

Kunti on seeing his husband worry told him," When I was a child in my father's house, I was appointed to look after the guest. Pleased with my service a sage named Durvasa gave me a mantra through which I can summon any God if you permit we can obtain offspring through this Mantra "

Pandu agreed and asked her to summon Dharma first as he was the one who partakes in what is sacred. He said," Summon Dharma. One who is devoted towards Dharma should be born in Kuru lineage. Since he will be given by Dharma there will be no Adharma in his mind. Therefore set Dharma before you. Worship Dharma through your offerings and rituals."

Kunti agreed and summoned Lord Dharma ( God of righteousness)   And through it, she obtained a son on a very sacred tithi ( date ). It was the eighth hour of the day and the sun was in the middle of the sky. It was an auspicious moment known as aindra when the moon was in conjunction with Abhijeet.

When the son was born, an invisible voice was heard," There is no doubt
that he will be supreme among those who uphold dharma. Pandu’s firstborn son will be famous by the name of Yudhishthira. He will also be a famous king, renowned in the three worlds—endowed with fame,
radiance and adherence to vows.”

But Pandu was not satisfied, he then asked Kunti to summon Lord Vayu ( God of wind )  He said," The best thing about Kshatriyas is their strength. Therefore ask for a son who has great strength."

Kunti obliged and summoned Vayu for a son. Through him she obtained Bhima. When bhima was born, again an invisible voice was heard," This son will be the strongest among all those who are strong.” He was also known as Vrikodara. An unusual event occurred after the birth of Vrikodara. He fell from his mother's lap and shattered a mountain into fragments. Kunti was asleep at the time and suddenly awoke, frightened at the sound of a tiger and forgetting Vrikodara was asleep in her lap.

His body was hard like vajra and it shattered the mountain into fragments.
Everyone was astonished.

After Bhima was born Pandu began to think " How can I obtain a supreme son who will be the best in all the worlds? This world depends on destiny and human action. But as decreed, destiny is only
obtained over some time. We have heard that Indra is the king and
the best of the gods. He has immeasurable strength and endeavour and he is valorous and unlimited in radiance. By pleasing him with austerities, I can obtain an immensely strong son. The son that he will give me will be the best. I shall therefore perform the greatest of austerities in mind, deeds and speech.”

Thereupon, after consulting with
maharishis, the immensely energetic Pandu of the Kuru lineage went to Kunti with the thought of summoning Lord Indra next.