Chapter 2

Years later, on the southern slopes of the Himavat , King Pandu was roaming in the woods that teemed with deer and wild animals of fierce disposition. He saw a stag that was the leader of his herd mating with a doe.
With five swift and sharp arrows that were decorated with golden feathers in their shafts, King Pandu shot both the stag and the doe.
The stag was actually a son of a rishi, blessed with the power of austerities. He was uniting with his wife in the form of deer. He fell down and begin to lament in human voice weeping bitterly, " O King! Even evil men who are enslaved by lust and anger and are always sinful, stay away from such cruel deeds. Overcome by lust and avarice, have you lost all your senses? "
To which King Pandu replied, his voice held guilt and remorse , but tried to justify his doing said, " O deer! In dealing with deers, King behave no differently from enemies. They kill them.You should not blame me as deer can be killed openly or through trickery.That is dharma of Kings. "
The deer said, " O King! I do not blame you for killing a deer or injuring me. But you should have waited until the act of my intercourse was complete. Which man of virtue is there that can kill a deer engaged in intercourse in the forest? You have rendered futile my attempt of having an offspring . This greedy act is condemned in this world. Since you have injured me, you will also be injured. Since you gave been cruel to helpless couple , when you are overcome with desire death will overtake you. Know that I am sage Kimdama. Assuming the form of deer I was roaming with other deers. Since you killed me in the form of deer when I was overcome by desire. Know that O King! You will face same fate that has befallen me. Overcome with desire , when you unite with your loved one , at the same instance you will depart for the land of the dead. The woman with whom you unite in your last moments will also go to the land of the dead. " Having said this the deer gave up it's life . And Pandu was immersed in grief.

King Pandu was the ruler of Hastinapur. He had an elder brother Dhritarastra who was blind . King Pandu was married to two beautiful woman, Kunti and Madri.

Kunti, was the large eyed daughter of Kuntibhoja. Pritha by name, was endued with beauty and accomplishment . She followed rigid vows and was devoted to virtues. But even though she was endued with beauty and youth and had every womanly attributes , no king asked for her hand. Her father Kuntibhoja seeing this invited several monarchs, Kings and princes from other countries and wanted his daughter to select her husband among her guest. Kunti eyes beheld Pandu, who was proud as the lion , had broad chest, bull-eyed and looked like he endued great strength. The daughter of Kuntibhoja beholding Pandu in that assembly became very much agitated. She advanced towards him with modesty with quivering emotions and placed the nuptial garland around Pandu's neck. Kunti father caused the nuptial rights to be performed duly. He blessed them with good fortune. Kunti and Pandu looked like they were Maghavat and Paulomi, who were the King and the Queen of the celestials. After the nuptials were over, Pandu along with Kunti went back to their capital.

Some time after, Bhishma who was the son of Shantanu and held a great position in Hastinapur Kingdom decided to get Pandu married for the second time

Some time after, Bhishma who was the son of Shantanu and held a great position in Hastinapur Kingdom decided to get Pandu married for the second time. Accompanied by the army, rishis and brahmanas he went to the kingdom of Madra. He addressed the King of Madra and said, " O King! I have come for the hand of a maiden . It had been heard by us that you have a sister named Madri, who is very beautiful and virtuous. I would chose her for Pandu. Please accept our proposal. "
Salya who was the brother of Madri accepted the alliance gave away his sister decked in ornaments for the sake of Pandu. After selecting an auspicious day , King Pandu was duly united with Madri. After the nuptials were over , he established his wife in his apartments.

After thirty days he started from his capital for the conquest of the world

After thirty days he started from his capital for the conquest of the world. Accompanied by a strong force he marched against his foes. He vanquished several kings in his conquest and was regarded with precious stones, gems, wealth, horses, elephants , gold and silvers, goats and sheeps , blankets and beautiful hides, and the clothes woven out of furs.
While he retraced towards his capital, his subjects were pleased and sang praises for him. He distributed his wealth amongst his family members and his subjects. He then retired to the woods. He lived there with his wives and went hunting.

 He lived there with his wives and went hunting

After Pandu killed the deer, he and his wives were afflicted with great sorrow and wept bitterly

After Pandu killed the deer, he and his wives were afflicted with great sorrow and wept bitterly. Deluded by his own passions, he was overwhelmed by misery as the fruit of his own deeds.