Chapter 11

Taking the blessings of both Lord  Śiva and Goddess Pārvatī, Padma returned holding Arjun in her arms. Kunti was anxiously awaiting them near her doorstep. It was almost twilight. Her talk with Pandu ended a long time ago. He asked her to provide Madri with the special mantra to which she agreed.  Pandu was delighted with her response. He always wanted more sons. It was like dream come true.

" Where are they? " Kunti anxiously spoke.

" Don't worry love, they will come back " Pandu replied.

" You won't understand the heart of a mother. They will never stop worrying about their child " Kunti replied.

" Okay, then what will you do when he won't be returning home for days after he grows up? " Pandu laughingly teased her. 

Even though Pandu was just teasing, Kunti felt that he was predicting something. 

She took a long breath to cool her anxious spirit and waited for her child to come. 

The Padma returned with Arjun, and Kunti took a breath of relief.

" Why so late? " She asked Padma.

" Apologies Devi, the prayers took longer than usual. " Padma replied.

Kunti nodded and took Arjun from her and hugged him closely.  Pandu who was standing aside patted his head.

Eyes full of despair, Kunti kissed his forehead.

Pandu along with Kunti and Arjun returned to their hut.

The next morning, Kunti visited Madri and said, " Think of some god once and through him you will certainly obtain a son who will be like him.”

The next few days, brought very important news. Madri due to the grace of the mantra, that was imparted to Kunti by Rishi Durvasa, was pregnant. She thought of two Ashvins in her mind.

Months passed by, and Madri gave birth to twin sons - Nakul and Sahadev. Their beauty was unmatched.

When the twins were born, the invisible voice spoke again, "These beautiful, brave and righteous sons will have qualities that will surpass all men. They will be radiant in energy, handsome and prosperous "

Pandu was sitting with Madri and Kunti while Yudhisthir, Bheem and Arjun huddled together to see the newborns.

At that time, the Brahmanas presented there affectionately gave the newborns their names and performed their birth rites.

The first of Madri’s sons was named Nakul. And the one born later was named Sahadev.

Arjun who was presented there whispered, " N..akul.....Seh...dev "

Everyone cooed at his baby voice. He just turned one year old. His skin was illuminating. It had silver hues. He was covered in tree barks and leaves. His neck and hands were adorned with Rudraaksh. His curls have grown with time. Even though his half hair was tied in a bun on the top of his head like an ascetic he still had hair covering his face, right above his lotus shaped red coppery eyes.

He had started walking but not so fluently. Holding the hands of his elder brother Yudhisthir and Bheem he moved toward the twins.

" Tiny," He said while pointing his dark-complexioned finger to the newborns.

Bheem moved toward Nakul while Arjun moved towards Sehdev pulling Yudhisthir with him. He noticed Bheem very lightly patting Nakul, Arjun in awe of his brother's action repeated the same with Sehdev. Bheem kissed Nakul forehead which resulted Arjun to do the same with Sehdev. His tiny beautifully formed lips touched his younger brother head in a slight kiss.

He then went toward Nakul and repeated the same. For the first time Arjun saw someone who was tinier than him.

A lot has happened in these months. Yudhisthir on his father's advice has started giving Vedas lesson in a easy way,  the few things he learnt from the sages, to Arjun when he started to understand and comprehend things. Thus making Yudhisthir not only his eldest brother but also his Guru. Along with brotherly relation there was a Guru - Shishya relation too between them which made Arjun respect him more.

Along with Pandu, Madri and Kunti he always took permission from both Yudhisthir and Bheem to do things.  Especially Yudhisthir as he was the eldest. It was his Dharma.

He was learning to fulfill his duties as a son, as a younger brother. Now he had to fulfil the duties of an elder brother. 

Releasing his fingers from Yudhisthir hand he wobbly walked toward the twins.

" I will always love you, I promise " with this thought he smelled both Nakul and Sehdev head lovingly .

Thus, five sons were born to Pandu through the gods.They bore all the auspicious marks and were as handsome as the moon.

The Brahmanas saw the five sons. Their gaze fell from Yudhisthir to Bheem and then to Nakul and Sehdev who were shining like a sun. And then at last their eyes stopped at the only dark complexioned boy who struck everyone with his lightening like gaze evolving to be the centre of attraction.  He was MadhyaPandava.