Clarification

Hey guys Chirith here. 

I am here to explain to you some things.

All the chapters from chapter 1: the bard's successor until chapter 10: A blind wind and a thunder's glow is all a dream. You can think of them as an alternate universe. 

Rex watched his brother die in front of him. 

HE was neglected and abused by his family until he was 10 when he ran away and ended up meeting Venti and holding the Anemo Gnosis for a time. He was then found by Otto and was adopted as a nephew by Theresa.

He met Zhongli when he was 12 after he got lost. Zhongli then noticed the familiar yet weakened Gnosis inside of Rex and decided to help him. During the time, Zhongli was holding an Unresonated vision and it chose Rex as its master. However, he made a contract with Zhongli to only use what he taught him against the Honkai or to protect himself in a life or death situation and this made him fall behind the academy rankings

He joined St. Freya Junior High when he was 12 but due to one of his ancestors being a well-known traitor who betrayed Kallen Kaslana (will be expounded on another chapter) there was some... well a lot of discrimination making him more depressed. 

The reason why he can't use Himeko's fighting style is because of his Gnosis. 

After his fight with Dvalin and losing his eyes, he started to break and stuff. 

Starting from volume 2: The waking world chapter 1: Waking dreams fade is the start where Kiana, Mei, and Bronya arrive at St. Freya after Escape from nagazora manga. 

All events of volume 1 can be disregarded as there are only some events that happened there like him being discriminated against and him being neglected until he was taken away at 10 years old. But I still ask you to not forget volume 1 because it will probably make a lot more sense later. 

And yes, volume 1 is not supposed to make sense. 

In Volume 2, Rex never met Venti and got his Gnosis, which in turn made it that he never met Zhongli. Due to him not receiving a Gnosis, it made it possible for Rex to master Himeko's fire-like fighting style and he now uses a greatsword and dagger in fights. 

The only thing that I can say that won't spoil a lot of things is that:

Rex is connected to one of the Game Valkyries.

He is a descendant of a MANTIS soldier OC of mine. And his family has been intertwined with the Kaslana family. 

Rex and Kiana have many similarities. 

Theresa adopted him as a nephew

One of his ancestors wielded an ice element divine key. 

Wendy is Rex's pen pal.