Chapter 5: The Teddy Bear Incident

[Unrevised]

This is still unrevised, so I apologize in advance for any mistakes. I will probably revise it tomorrow.

Anyway, enjoy~

------------------------------------------

(Gazel Dwargo's Perspective)

I just received a report from Anrietta, who was busy spying on the humans who entered Dwargon yesterday. Apparently, the three individuals were a family—the blue-haired and silver-haired being husband and wife, and the red-haired girl being their daughter.

In addition, it appears that they got in trouble with Vesta, and at the moment were being escorted to the prison to be maintained there until the trial that will apparently take place tomorrow. From the report, I can easily notice that the individuals in question were not in the wrong; Anrietta was supposedly observing through the window, and saw how Vesta was the guy at fault, trying to hit on the silver-haired woman and getting mad at being rejected.

Now, that is quite important, but more important than that, is the fact that the humans in question are not really humans—or well, at least one of them is not a human. In the report Anrietta delivered to me, it says that the blue-haired individual turned into a slime—which is a monster—while claiming that the other two were also monsters. It might not sound too worrisome, however, in reality it is.

Slimes are supposed to be unintelligent and weak monsters, but this individual did not look that way at all. Furthermore, even though he is a monster, nobody could detect him as such; he was not showing any of the aura that characterizes monsters, to begin with. If that slime had not said he was a monster, we might have believed forever that he was human . That means that out there, there are monsters that could completely disguise themselves as humans and evade our magicule-detection barriers, like this slime. I had previous knowledge that intelligent monsters existed but this is a completely different situation.

A monster that perfectly disguises as a human has the probability of launching a surprise attack anywhere they'd like. The countries in this world fully believe that no monster will enter their territory unnoticed , but from what Anrietta told me through her report, it is obvious this is a heavy misconception.

The report did not mention anything about the risk of this slime, but if it is strong, then it should not be left unaddressed. An unnoticeable and strong monster is nothing to laugh at. What's more, Anrietta reported hearing that the slime is building a village in the Jura Forest and is searching for personnel to assist him. But, what are his intentions for doing that?

"The threat of the slime is still unmeasured, and yet Vesta goes and makes enemies with him. Depending on this slime's strength, Dwargon might fall due to Vesta's foolishness." I massaged my temple with my hand and sighed heavily. Of course, Vesta has no idea that this individual might be dangerous, but he is still at fault, because it is a fool's matter to go and pick a fight with everyone you see.

I sighed once again and began weighing my options. I could order their release, but the king intervening in what is supposed to be a trivial matter could alarm the people—even though it is not trivial at all. I continued thinking, but the only conclusion I could arrive at was to wait for the trial tomorrow and question the slime's intentions then.

Haaah, I wonder how everything will play out...

◇◇◇

(Rimuru's Perspective)

After spending the night in jail with Ciel, Reili, Kaijin, and the brothers, the next morning we were transported toward the room where our trial was going to take place. It was the same room as last time, with nobles to watch the trial unfold and soldiers to restrain us and protect the people present. I guess Vesta called these nobles here to showcase his political power, but well, it doesn't matter anyway.