Interlude: We're going on vacation!

"And so with all that said, We're going on vacation!" I raised my arms in a dramatic manner, as an orchestra director guiding his crew of musicians.

""..."" An audible silence infiltrated my ears as I stared at the dumbfounded audience. The silence that permeated the air was so intense that even a breath of air could be heard. Why are they so quiet? I thought as I began scratching my head in wonder. That being said, it isn't truly accurate to say there was no noise coming from the audience.

"*claps* *claps* *claps* Whooh! That's it! Go get'em, Dear! *claps* *claps*" My dear wife stood on her two feet as she cheered on me with a smile on her face and her fist raised forward. Although... isn't that supposed to be said before the presentation? Like, to motivate me?

"Teehee!" Ciel slightly smashed her right fist onto her head as she stuck her tongue out in a cute way as if to say, "My bad!" I guess I'll forgive how she missed her timing just this once, being as gracious as I am and all. Yeah, it's totally not because I was captivated by her cute way of acting! Not at all!

**cough* *cough* It seems nobody was paying attention, so I'll say it again." I cleared my throat and magnified my voice with an imposing and subtle tone. "We will be going on a long vacation!"

""..."" Okay, this is getting both embarrassing and annoying, I thought as an anger vein appeared on my forehead. Ciel seemed to be thinking something along the same line, noted by how her smile turned into a pout as she eyed the others in the room with visible exasperation.

"Va...cation?" Perhaps due to his danger alarms going off, Benimaru was the first one to open his mouth in a confused way. His expression seemed to show off a sense of unease that was rarely seen in his character.

"That's right. Vacation." I said resolutely as I stared straight back at him. "I thought it'd be a good idea for us to relax a bit after everything that has happened as of late." I am referring to the orc invasion in the Jura Forest, of course. Even though the matter was settled without any major issues nor losses, it was still true that we were the victims of a very thought-out plot. "And that being the case, I think we all need to take a breather in order to later continue with our life in the most efficient and relaxed way possible."

"I see..." Benimaru seemed to fall into deep thought as he brought his hand to his chin. "...But if we go on vacation... would the village not be left unprotected against invaders?" Benimaru sounded seriously concerned, for some reason, but unfortunately, I had to stop him on his tracks before the snowball effect kicked in due to his words.

"What are you talking about, Benimaru-kun? The only ones that are going on vacation are Ciel, Reili, Veldora, Shizu-san, and myself." I tilted my head to the side to express my confusion, and as if mirroring me, my right-hand man did so as well. "Even with us gone, you should be able to manage to set up a proper defense together with Shion and Souei, right?" I flashed a bright smile at him, filled to the brim with the trust I had for him. I thought he'd be happy, but... Benimaru's expression immediately turned into one that made it seem as if he'd been struck by thunder. Incapable of hiding his shock, the kijin fell to his knees looking as if someone had told him the world would end tomorrow. This is fun, I thought as I pondered on whether to continue to play around with him like this or not. Unfortunately, the entertainment had to be cut short, since Ciel seemed to be trying to make a hole in my head with her glare.

"Now, now. Don't be so dramatic. It is because I trust you that I am able to leave the village in your hands. I'll take you along with us next time, I swear on my name. I'd honestly like to take you this time, but... this trip is a bit special, so no can do." I approached Benimaru and placed a hand on his shoulder. "Remember, you are... my number one guy."

"Rimuru-sama..."

"Hey, Dear, isn't that line from a movie in which the character who it is told to then gets immediately betrayed by the one who said it?" Ciel! My dear wife! Couldst thou not spoil this beautiful moment?! Please?! I was ready to throw an academy award-deserving performance to maintain my facade intact, but somebody else decided it was time to speak, successfully interrupting the flow of the conversation. Nice save, Shizu-san! Mentally thanking her timely intervention, I left a confused Benimaru behind and turned to face her. ""

"Excuse me, Rimuru-san... you said I am going too?" Shizu-san raised her hand in a shy and reserved manner, like a student in front of a professor. Her expression was filled with concern and doubt, most definitely because I hadn't told her of the trip yet! Teehee......erm... no? It only works for Ciel, you say? Oh, okay, then...

"That's right, Shizu-san. You are coming with us on this trip whether you like it or not." I said as I crossed my arms with a determined smile on my face.

"H-Huh? W-Why?" Shizu-san began slightly trembling in her seat. Wait wait wait, why are you so scared, Shizu-san?! I began retorting in my mind as it was now my turn to fall to my knees in shock. I-I-I thought we were friends...

"Shizu... meanie." Ciel pointed at her with a disappointed expression on her face.

"H-Huh? W-Why, though?" Alright, this is getting out of hand.

"W-Well, getting back on topic... you need to come with us because we are going to be visiting a ve~ry important place for you." I winked at her as I flashed her a smile.

"W-Wait... Rimuru-san, are you talking about..."

My smile deepened at her words, and striking an embarrassingly cool pose with my right arm and head pointing towards the sky, I said, "That's right! We are going to Earth!"

—-----------------------------------------------------------

So... yeah... I'm back. It was a very productive break, let me say. I managed to watch and read some anime and manga I had been putting off for a long time... if you could call that productive

...Anyway.

I know this chapter is nothing but a kind of prologue for the new arc, but... well... I hope you'll forgive me for not bringing you an actual chapter today, as I am kind of out of shape (writing-wise) and short of time. It has been a while since I wrote Slime Daughter, but I feel I am slowly regaining the style I used to have when I started off. Or that's my intention, at least.

For now, I decided to pause the main plotline of the original novel and instead bring in the small Earth Vacation arc, but what do you think? If many of you disagree with it, I can just temporarily postpone the Earth idea and move ahead with the original novel's plot and events, so please do comment your preference. I am not an esper, I cannot read your minds through a computer, so don't blame me if you don't say anything and then I end up following your least preferred choice.

Also, I am almost done writing the battle scene between Rimuru and the Orc Lord from Chapter 18, so it should be up pretty soon. I will post an announcement on my profile whenever it's done for those who'd like to check it out.

Now, now, too many things about this fanfic. Changing a bit of topic, are you watching any anime this season? In my case, I am only watching one right now: The Magical Revolution of the Reincarnated Princess and the Genius Young Lady. I am a big fan of both isekai and yuri, and finally having an anime that belongs to both genres is freaking great.

Anyway, that's all from me for today, I hope to see you again in the next chapter!