Chapter 6: Purudator?

[Revised]

(Shizu's Perspective)

It has been some time since I had departed with Eren's party and entered the forest. We were heading into the place where the Storm Dragon Veldora was supposed to be sealed. Or well, to be more precise, that was the goal of the party of adventurer's I was accompanying. It is not like I will intentionally disturb their plans, but my true objective definitely lies somewhere else.

Finding that man. Demon Lord Leon Cromwell; one of the people who stood at the top of this world, and the reason for why I am here in this world. He summoned me when I was just a child when I was about to die back in my previous world. That said, that does not truly mean he saved me—no, actually it does. I wouldn't be here right now, walking through this forest, if not for him.

His methods were cruel and ruthless; he took a young girl like me—at that time—and turned me into a warrior against my will. I killed on his behalf countless times, crimes which I had to atone with years of self-loath and regret.

Yet, despite all that, I cannot bring myself to hate that man. Even though I suffered nameless times due to his actions, I gained some good memories in this world thanks to the life he saved. I met the Hero, who took me under her wing; I became a teacher and—hopefully—helped many children, like Hinata and Yuuki. They have turned into successful people, although that is most likely due to their own latent talent rather than to my time as their teacher.

I would have liked to continue teaching, honestly. However, Ifrit residing inside of me is going out of control. I guess the passage of time has been wearing off my ability to keep him under check. Even the mask I constantly wear cannot contain him anymore. No, but that's not it.

I have to leave them. I had to leave my students in order to go and search for something. I have to search for that man. He was able to save me, and so I am sure he would be able to save them as well. Kenya, Ryota, Alice, Gale, Chloe...

As I was thinking that, I started listening to a loud noise that was coming toward me from deeper into the forest. I turned around to warn Eren and the others but... they're nowhere to be seen. Eh?!

I turned my head in all directions searching for them, but I could see nobody. When did we get separated?  Was I so immersed in my thoughts that I ended up randomly wandering in the forest? I was pondering the possibilities in my head as the noise around me got louder.

"...!" For a moment, I thought I could hear a voice calling out to me from deeper inside the forest—from where all the disturbance came from. I focused my senses to sharpen my hearing, and as I was doing that, the voice became clearer each time.

"...zu!"

"Eh?"

"Shizuuuuu!!!!" That voice had definitely called out my name just now. The owner was still out of my line of sight, behind countless trees, but I recognize that voice. It hadn't been too long since the last time we had spoken, after all.

"Eren?" I called out that name as I narrowed my eyes to try to get a glimpse of the inside of the forest. The ground began to shake. Small pebbles that were peacefully lying in the ground a few seconds ago were now jumping about all over the place. I could also see several flock of birds fleeing from the trees at a hurried pace. The sound got louder each time; the voice became clearer too, but that wasn't all. I could also listen to what sounded like huge footsteps. I raised my guard, placing a hand on my sword at my waist...

"Aaaaaaa! Shizuuuuuuu!!!! Ruuuuuuuuuun!!!!!!!!" A very freaked out Eren ran out of the forest with Kaval and Gido in tow. No, that wasn't all. From behind them, I could see several gigantic ants desperately chasing behind them. My eyes widened as Eren and the others passed by me. The next moment, I regained my senses with a "Ah," and turned around to follow behind them.