Chapter 18: The Battlefield of the Strongest

(3rd Person Perspective)

The Queen of Nightmares was distressed.

Her most loyal retainer—Louis—was yet to come back to her side with the piece she needed to checkmate the monster known as Rimuru.

Even though that slime was strong, he was just a single individual. While it was generally true that in this world quality wins over quantity, that situation may change when said 'quality' individual has his hands full dealing with several threatening situations simultaneously. Eventually, something will slip past him... or so is the thought of the hopeful; of those who believe they have an opportunity against such a monster. Luminous was no different either.

She was strong. And because of her strength, she was able to comprehend just how overwhelming Rimuru was. It was personally an enemy she wouldn't want to clash head on with. But then, why is she doing just that? Because strength normally comes in two-set packages along with a most destructive element: arrogance.

Arrogance is a double-edged sword. Arrogance can give you confidence, and confidence can give you the small 'push' you need in order to attempt something. Confidence born by arrogance is not wrong in and of itself. The thing is, confidence born from arrogance is very propense to develop into tunnel vision. No, that is true for all types of confidence, regardless of its origin. You start to question if there is something or someone you cannot overcome with your own hand. And when you find something or somebody better than you, your confidence gets shaken, but only for a mere second, for after said second, it bounces back up as a ball to an even higher position, striving for simply one thing: to break whatever or whoever made it bounce in the first place.

It is simply how such an aspect of nature works.

Unfortunately for those who depend on their arrogance, said rebound is not unlimited. Everything that goes up must come back down, after all.

You may push forward with your arrogance, but you will eventually reach a point in which you will prompt your own downfall.

◇◇◇

(Rimuru's Perspective)

...I just finished confirming the results of the battle in the imaginary space, and... I have to say that was certainly awe-inspiring. I never doubted Ciel's victory but... I never expected she would utterly reduce Louis to nothing so ruthlessly... I broke into a cold sweat in the middle of the battle, making a mental note not to anger CIel carelessly. Y-Yeah... she's scary...that Ciel...

"Rimuru-sama? Are you alright?" Benimaru looked worriedly at me as I unconsciously shivered at the thought of CIel's wrath.

"I-It's nothing..." I wiped the cold sweat off my temple and looked ahead, where a dust cloud was rising high into the sky. That's right, now is not the time to be thinking about Ciel; it is only a matter of minutes before the Orc Lord and his army reach our location. Currently, only those who came with me from the village are present. Souei was left behind in the lizardmen fortress to counter any insurrection that may spark throughout the battle.

This time around, the combat against the Orc Lord should be considerably tougher than the first time—if everything is as I think it is. Against the orc army it should be the same, though, or even easier, considering we have Shizu-san and Foltia on our side.

"Mine lord, how should'st we distribute our forces?" Speaking of which, Foltia called out to me as she peeked out of Shizu-san's body. A ven throbbed in my forehead for a second after listening to her speech, but I managed to keep it under control.

"...I'll take care of the Orc Lord, you guys should just play with the rest of the orcs."

". I understand, mine lord. Though I would've preferred mine lord to allow us to take care of everything." Foltia seemed down, perhaps because she thought I didn't trust them enough.