Chapter nine - the gala is tomorrow

You wake up laying on the couch, blanket over you, tv off, and Harper gone. You assumed she had gone to work and your assumptions were right when you opened your phone to check the time and your messages. You got a message from Harper and Bruce of course.

Harper messages:

Harper:
Went to work
Tell Bruce I said hi

You:
Alright be safe

End of Harper messages

Bruce messages:

Bruce:
Did you sleep well?

You:
Yea

Bruce:
Let's call

End of Bruce's messages

Your phone rings and you answer.

"It's like 6am," You say,"aren't you at work?"

"Yeah but I'm bored in my office with nothing to do," Bruce explains, as you hear his office chair squeaking in the background,"Plus, the outfit put together looked amazing, it will be perfect for tomorrow,"

"The gala is tomorrow!?" You yelled, standing up from the couch.

"Uh yeah, I thought I told you?" Bruce replies, sounding a little confused. You thought for a moment and never recalled getting the date or even asking for the date or time. God, I'm so stupid.

"I never got a date or a time, I never even asked," You replied, sighing to yourself, feeling stupid as ever. You walk over to the kitchen and make yourself a coffee.

"Oh well, It's tomorrow, April 1st, Friday, at 11am," He says. You roll your eyes.

"Is this a joke? Because ya know tomorrow is April fools," You ask, hoping that it was so you could mentally prepare yourself. Like that would matter, once the day comes you would still freak out. Shut up thoughts we don't need the logic at this moment that is future me problem.

"Ironically, No," He replies,"It is not a joke,"

You sigh deeply realizing you will have a shorter time to prepare. Why didn't I ask before?! you felt stupid and nervous. Now questioning everything about it. Who's going to be there? How many people are going to be there? How many people are you willing to take to? How many people questions are people going to ask you? How long are you going to stay there? Are you going to embarrass yourself? The questions, the worries, they just kept coming and were just irrational.

"If you are worried about it," Bruce says,"Don't be,"

"Oh wow, I already feel all my worries leaving my body," You say, sarcastically,"Oh look I can see one of my worries waving goodbye as they drift off into heaven, goodbye worries, say hi to Jesus,"

You hear Bruce scoff.

"Let me finish, let me finish," Bruce says, trying to calm you down,"I'm going to be there with you, we're going to stay for like an hour or two, and you can hide out in the bathrooms or my car if it's too much, we can also leave early,"

You sighed and relaxed a little. I guess that's okay...I don't know. Your anxiety was just not agreeing with anything, which is normal.

"You were the one who said 'I don't care where I am, as long as I'm with you I'm happy'?" Bruce says, quoting you,"So, that was a lie, huh?"

This bitch.

"Oh come on Bruce that doesn't mean I can't complain or be worried!!" You defend yourself. You can't believe he used your own lines against you,"I'm just...ugh big social events suck ass, I'm just uncomfortable constantly,"

"We got clothes that are your style and will make you feel comfortable," Bruce says, trying to lighten up the situation,"Plus I'm here, I got your back, I know exactly how it is, I hate it too, and I got batman on speed dial.

You laughed at his last bit. But you were so focused on the gala and your anxiety, you didn't say anything about it.

"You're just better than me," You say, pouring creamer into your coffee and taking a sip,"Your good at socializing and I feel like I'm not, I mean the only friends I have is Harper and you, I'm just a lonely person,"

Bruce was silent for a moment and suddenly you felt guilty and stupid for talking about how you felt. I probably found so stupid to him oh my god why am I bothering him with my problems? You were about to apologize to Bruce but he spoke before you could say anything.

"It's practice and patient," Bruce says, trying to make you feel better but you already felt yourself going to the deep end,"I was forced to learn how to communicate the way I do with others because of my job and it's a lot of work to put in the effort to talk to people," Bruce explains,"your feelings are valid and just know your not alone, and it isn't bad to have two friends, even if one of those friends is your sister,"

You nod your head, leaning against the counter as you take another sip of your coffee. He's right. You thought. Bruce was right, it's a lot of effort to talk to others and it drains your energy half the time. Maybe you just don't feel like putting in the effort but you do want to feel like you belong or fit in, in some way. That's all you ever wanted. You're happy with your two friends, but you want more, you don't fully feel like you belong in Gotham city or in the office. Maybe that's a good thing since it is Gotham. I need to put myself out there more and I don't want to. Your thoughts were getting the better of you at this point and you started to cry.

"Y/n?" Bruce asks, sounding worried,"Are you okay?"

You tried to hide the fact that you were crying but, it didn't work, tears were already dripping of your chin as you set your coffee on the counter.

"I have to go," You say, shakily, through tears.

"Are you sure? You okay? You need someone with you?" Bruce asks,"Do you want to talk about it? I can come over right now if you want,"

"I just need to be alone for a minute," You say,"Please,"

"Okay, I'll call you later, alright?" Bruce asks, being understanding but he wanted to stay with you.

"Okay," You say quickly and hang up. You set your phone down on the counter and pace the kitchen. God, what the fuck is wrong with me! You kicked a chair in anger which only stubbed your toe,"FUCK!" You yell, as you bend down and hold your foot. You wipe your tears and then a random thought popped in your head and you stood up immediately,"My fucking medications!!"

———————————————————————————

Just pretend this was posted April 1st. Alright? Just just don't bother with the date. My dates will be fucked up alright that's just how it's gonna go.
So the photo I used is a screenshot of my Google doc and what I wrote for the next morning aka chapter basically, this chapter. It was just 'you wake up'. Yes, you always have to wake up before anything else, who would of thought. 💀💀 I am also watching twilight while I'm writing this...for the second time.
Anyways! Thank you guys for reading!! Hoped you enjoyed!! :)) thank you also again for the support and love for this FF. I'm really grateful for it.

Song of the day: Shy away by Twenty One Pilots