Prologue

"It was just a dare." Rose said, crossing her arms with her expression scrunched up with seriousness.

Rose is your best friend, and apparently, your best friend just loves to make you do things that are surreal and near ridiculous. Either way, you still enjoyed her company and presence, it's not like she meant for you to be in a terribly dangerous situation.

"It doesn't matter, my probation ended and it made me a permanent employee. Come to think of it, I really need to get myself a stable job." You sighed out an exasperated sigh. You were right, you are like 24 years old, you graduated from college but haven't had a single job for months thanks to your failing grade in math. Like, seriously, do you need math in all courses? Well, at least this job doesn't require a college degree for some reason, your degree being only but a great advantage for your probation to be approved. If ever, you should thank your dear best friend for pushing you indirectly into getting a job.

You liked the place, it was lively, and it reminded you so much of the family's warmth. Your parents are with your younger brother, the reason why you're here and away from them is because you were trying to find a job. Thanks to your best friend, you found one.

You just didn't expect that you'd become a permanent employee when you were previously on probation due to your lack of experience. But the job wasn't hard, all you have to do is make sure everything is in order, everyone is safe, and take lost kids to the main office to find their parents. During night shifts, you were tasked to keep an eye on the place, report malfunctioning bots, do some sideline clean up and check on the animatronics. You were a security guard, after all, these are the mandatory protocols that you must go with in order to keep the peace and tranquility in the Pizzaplex.

"I suppose, tonight is your night shift." Rose spoke, shifting her weight from one leg to another, her long hair lightly swaying as the afternoon breeze hit their frame.

You shifted for a moment. "Yeah... I already texted my manager, about that." You mumbled, knowing full well that Rose is not comfortable with how you take the night shift. After all, many occurrences happen in the darkness, and you have nothing to protect yourself but your flashlight.

"Don't you feel lonely? Being in a gigantic place with no one to talk to but robots?" Rose asked, raising a brow in question. "Maybe, you should socialize more with the animatronics. Kids talked to them, and they interact like how we do." She suggested, a brief smile flashing in her expression.

But you gave her a blank face. "Excuse me?" you scoffed. "They're alright with kids but us employees? Have you ever seen how they literally stare at us? If anything, I'd think they're creepy." You shuddered, remembering how the animatronic named Chica would stop and stare at you blankly if you dare maintain eye contact for more than 10 seconds. Only the technicians were able to converse with the animatronics, and it's always work related. The animatronics acted the same with technicians, the only difference is that they actually respond than stare.

You once heard over your gossiping co-worker how the boss took the animatronics for a technical check-up due to their strange behavior when around employees, but they found nothing out of the ordinary.

One actually suggested that the animatronics may not like employees as much as they love children. But they're robots with certain programming, it's not like they're alive enough to learn who to snob and who to flatter.