1.4 • Salt & Sugar

“Mom...” Aadi called his mother Avantika who was sitting in the living area of the mansion.

“You are early.” She smiled looking at him.

Aadi reciprocated her smile and went to sit next to her. He put his head on her lap and Avantika began caressing his hair.

“You seem off, Aadi.” She spoke. Seeing him behave so... normal, was not normal at all.

“Mom, why you don't like Rini?” His question confused her.

She understood that her son is very much serious about that clumsy girl, much to her surprise.

“She is a mess. She has no idea about her actions. That girl is nothing more than trouble. And that's why I don't like her.” For the first time, Avantika vocally expressed her distaste towards Aarini. And it felt good to let it out.

“Then why do you have no objections to me marrying her?”

“I had objections. I wanted a perfect girl for you. Someone who will compliment your personality and status. It was your father who silenced me. I don't know why he is hell-bent on getting you married to his friend's daughter.”

“Mom, Dad, and Prabhat uncle are really good friends. They have seen tough times together. They are supportive of each other as brothers. That's the reason they wanted this alliance between their kids.”

“Aadi, why are you trying to justify this alliance now? That girl ran away humiliating all of us.”

“She has a name, Mom. And let me clear this one thing, I will either marry Aarini or no one else. So please try to accept her.”

Saying so he closed his eyes, not moving an inch.

Avantika kept quiet. She wasn't ready for this. For this confession that her son has fallen for that reckless girl who once served her tea with salt in it instead of sugar.

Can life be any more unexpected?

“As you wish. But don't blame me if you would have to eat burnt toasts every single day.” She warned him.

“Don't worry, I'll hire a cook.” He replied with his eyes still close.

•••

Rini rang the doorbell of Ameer's apartment. A very tensed Ameer opened the door and as he saw her his tension flew away.

“Rini, are you okay?” He asked with concern.

Rini just nodded, she was very tired, not physically but emotionally.

She moved past him and entered the apartment. Very tiredly she slumped on the couch and lean on its uncomfortable material.

The tension knocked on Ameer's head once again after seeing her so exhausted. He was afraid if Aadijay Chauhan, God forbids but, abused her.

He moved to sit beside her.

“Rini, your silence is scaring me. Did he... abuse you?”

She took a deep, long breath before facing him. He was still wearing his office clothes. The clock showed it was eleven in the morning, which means he didn't go to the office.

“Why you didn't go to the office?” She asked, not willing to talk about the concerned topic.

“Yaar, I was worried for you. How could I go to the office when you were alone with that Chauhan.” His concerns made her feel guilty. He was so nice to her. No doubt, he was a better partner than Aadi. But her messed-up sensibility ruined everything.

Tears pooled up in her eyes, flowing down her cheeks.

“Rini, tell me, yaar. What happened? He did something wrong?” He gently rubbed her palms while asking.

She shook her head.

“Ameer, don't you wonder why I broke up with you all of a sudden?”

Her question caught him off-guard. He was heartbroken when she ended everything between them out of blue. He was so in love with her.

“Why, Rini?” Because now when he has got a chance, he wanted to know the reason behind their sudden breakup.

“Because that was when I got to know that I'll have to marry Aadi no matter what. And that wasn't the only reason. I was attracted to him. I don't know when I started loving the person I hated all my childhood. And that was when I realized you were only my infatuation, not love.”

Surprisingly, it didn't hurt. It would have hurt him three years ago. But now it didn't. Maybe because he was over his heartbreak. He was in love with someone else.

“It's alright, Rini. We both have moved on. I have Anika in my life and you have that Angry Bird for yourself.” He said with a tiny smile.

The mentioning of Angry Bird made a crying Rini break into a smile.

“So what exactly happened between both of you?” He asked again.

“He asked me what I want. And told him everything.”She wipes her tears while replying.

“What do you mean by Everything?”

“That I hate her mother. That after marriage we'll live in a separate house. I won't interact with my parents or his parents unnecessarily. I will work even after marriage. I also want my shares in the company. And that I don't like his silent treatment. I want him to change his behavior towards me.”

“And he agreed?”The surprise was written all over his face.

“He did.” She gave full-blown smile, contrary to her teary, red eyes.

But a question crossed Ameer's mind.

“What about him cheating on you with his ex?”

“He reasoned that it was his ex requesting a farewell kiss. Though I am not entirely convinced. I am going to meet his ex-girlfriend soon.”

“A farewell kiss. Well, that's understandable. I mean, if she is still in love with him then it's okay for her to ask for it. Do you remember my farewell hug?”

“I do.” And she gave a hearty laugh.

“You must be hungry, right?”

“Yeah. Can you please cook your special Biryani?”

“Of course. You do some rest and I'll cook some Biryani for lunch.”

And just like that Aarini laid down on the couch itself, to take a nap. She desperately needed one after her two back-to-back emotional breakdowns.

•••

Long time, no see.

How many of you want to shoot me for not updating all these weeks?