4.5 • Dramebaaz Dadi

Everyone was sitting on the dining table, eating their breakfast in complete silence. Alamgeer and Parisa were sharing glances, trying to muster up the courage to tell the elders about their decision to get a divorce.

Minutes passed, but they remained quiet. They were both signalling each other to start but no one was ready to be one to drop the bomb on the elders.

Dadi Jaan was looking at the scene and smirking internally. She thought that her great-grandson was on the way to the earth.

“Toh mujhe mera pad-pota kab milega?” She asked with a smirk, trying to say that she knows they had sex. Poor Dadi Jaan.

(So when will I get my great-grandson?)

Alamgeer took the opportunity to blast the news.

“We want to get a divorce.” He said it so fast that it seemed like a delusion for a moment.

However, looking at his serious expression, they understood he actually said what they just heard.

Divorce.

“Allah miyan, Dadi ko utha lo please. Varna iss aurat ne mera jeena haram kar dena hai.” Parisa silently prayed to the God.

(Dear God, make her die please. Or else this woman will make my life a hell.)

“Haye Allah! Talaak? Woh bhi hamare khandaan mein? Tumhara dimag kharab ho gaya hai, Alam?” Dadi shouted at him angrily.

(Oh God! Divorce? That too in our family? Are you out of your mind, Alam?)

“Dadi, yeh hum dono ka faisla hai.” He declared, determined on his words.

(Dadi, this is the decision of both of us.)

“Parisa, tum Alamgeer se talaak lena chahti ho?” The old lady asked with an angry glare, expecting that Parisa will deny the statement hearing her angry tone. However...

(Parisa, you want to take divorce from Alam?)

“Jee, Dadi.” Parisa nodded. Not ready to back down at this point.

“Budhiya, jo bhi karle. Mai toh ab talaak lekar rahungi.” She smirked internally.

(Old woman, do whatever you want. I'll take divorce no matter what.)

“Haye Allah, ab iss umar mein yahi dekhna reh gaya tha. Tum dono kaan khol kar sunn lo, hamare khandaan mein aaj tak talaak nahi hua hai, aur naa kabhi hoga.” The old lady declared in her equally old voice.

(Oh God, in this age only this was left to witness. Both of you listen carefully, no divorce has happened in our family till now, and it won't happen in the future either.)

“Lekin Dadi-” Alamgeer tried to say something, however, he was cut off by Dadi.

(But Dadi-)

“Akbar, kuch samjhao apne bete ko. Kaha tha isey pardes mat bhejo. Lag gayi naa goron ki hawaa.” Dadi now turned towards her son who till then was quietly sitting at his place and looking at the scene.

(Akbar, put some sense into your son's head. I had told you not to send him abroad. He has got influenced by white people.)

“Ammi Jaan, mujhe koi aitraaz nahi hai Alam aur Parisa ke talaak se. Yeh unki zindagi hai, humein isme dakhalandazi nahi karni chahiye.” Akbar expressed his opinion, clearly knowing that his mother will be offended and will create a fuss out of it for sure.

(Ammi Jaan, I have no objection with their divorce. This is their life, we should not interfere in it.)

“Khudaya! Akbar, kya ho gaya hai tumhen? Qayamat wale din mein kya muh dikhayungi tumhare Abba ko?” And now Dadi didn't even spare her late husband. Even Dada Jaan would be smacking his head in the heaven.

(God! Akbar, what has happened to you? How will I show my face to your father on the day of judgement?)

“Ammi, please. Mai tang aa gaya hoon aapki tanashahiyon se. Mai chup raha jab aapne Alam ki choti umar mein shadi karwa di. Lekin ab nahi. Mein apne bachchon ke haq mein hoon.”

(Ammi, please. I'm sick of your dictatorship. I stayed quiet when when you got Alam married at a young age. But not now. I support my children.)

When Akbar said this, Dadi put her hands on her heart.

#DramebaazDadi

“Haye Allah!”

And she dropped on her chair.

“Arrey wah, budhiya toh sach mein mar gayi!” Parisa thought to herself while hiding her smile.

(Oh wow! This old woman really died!)

🕊️🕊️🕊️

Two hours later, Dadi Jaan was resting on her bed in her bedroom. And the other fours were standing by the side of her bed.

She slowly opened her eyes, faking painful moans.

“Khudaya, mujhe bula le apne paas. Mere khandaan ne toh mujhe rol diya.”

(God, call me to your place. My family has abandoned me.)

She uttered in a sad, painful tone hoping that it will melt their hearts.

She looked at the four of them and said,

“Agar Alam aur Parisa ka talaak hua, toh pehle iss ghar se meri laash uthegi.” She declared stubbornly.

(If Alam and Parisa divorced, so first my dead body will leave this house.)

“Ammi, aapki teen dinn ki zindagi ke chakkar mein mai apne bachchon ki puri zindagi barbaad nahi kar sakta.”  But Akbar stood firm in support of Alamgeer and Parisa. He was well known to his mother's emotional blackmailing by the years of experience.

(Ammi, I can't ruin my children's entire life for your three days of life.)

“Bas yahi dinn dekhna reh gaya tha. Meri apni aulaad meri maut ka intzaar kar rahi hai.” She began crying.

(Only this day was left to witness. My own child is waiting for my death.)

Akbar kept quiet. However, Alamgeer intervened.

“Abba, hum dono court jayein divorce file karwane?” He asked, knowing very well that Dadi's drama won't stop anytime soon.

(Abba, can we both go to the court to file for a divorce?)

“Haan, beta. Tum dono jao. Ammi ka toh chalta rahega.” He waved off.

(Yes, beta. You both go. Ammi will keep going on.)

“Allah, aisi aulaad se toh mai be-aulaad hi achchi thi.” Dadi Jaan cried again.

(God, I was better childless than such child.)

Alamgeer and Parisa quickly got out of the room and left for the court before Dadi could start her another drama.

“Allah, ab toh tu mujhe sach mein uthale.” Dadi thought to herself.

(God, now seriously call me to your place.)

•••

It was supposed to be posted yesterday but then it slipped my mind. 😁😁😁