7.0 • Come Back Home

Miraal was busy preparing breakfast when the doorbell rang.

"Haya, open the door." She loudly told her younger sister who was busy scrolling through her Instagram.

Haya huffed in annoyance as she put down her phone and headed to open the main door. As the door slid open, a very bored Haya broke into smiles.

"Haris Bhai!" She exclaimed seeing her brother-in-law after so many weeks.

Haris smiled at her excitement and side-hugged her. "How are you, Haya?" He asked with a smile.

"I'm doing great, Bhai. How about you?" She smiled back.

"Well, things are a bit messy without your Aapi." He replied honestly.

Her smile faltered but she wore it again before saying, "I hope you realised your mistake."

"That's why I'm here." He smiled sadly.

"Best of luck." She showed him a thumbs up.

"Thank you, Haya." He patted her head.

"Now please come inside!" She held his arm and pulled him inside and dragged him straight to the kitchen where her sister was present.

"Aapi, look who is here!" Haya cheered.

Miraal was busy kneading the dough when she turned around to find her husband standing beside Haya. Instantly she could feel mixed emotions seeing him after six weeks.

Haris smiled at her. He wanted to hold her tight in his arms and kiss the life out of her but he couldn't do that when Haya was present in the kitchen.

"Umm, Haya, I think your phone is ringing outside." He tried to make her leave them alone.

"Haris Bhai, just say you want me to leave you both alone." Haya smirked and left, leaving them alone in the kitchen.

Haris turned his entire attention towards Miraal who in turn tried to ignore him by focusing back on kneading the dough.

He sighed and stepped closer to her. Without any hesitation, he wrapped his arms around her waist. He put her head against her shoulder, his hair tickling the skin of her neck. She kept quiet and shut down her eyes as her buried emotions began to surface.

"I'm sorry, Miraal." He mumbled against her skin.

A tear slipped her eyes as she remembered that night when she decided to get separate from him.

"Your one sorry cannot erase the hurt I felt at your actions." She mumbled.

"I know, Miraal."He deeply regretted his actions. He had made her a punching bag and poured all his anger on her. She did not deserve that pain.

He continued,"But I promise I will never do that again."

"How were you all these weeks?" She asked to divert the topic.

"Fine. The food was awful though. You have to give me lessons on cooking. My stomach began hurting after eating the food I cooked."She chuckled at his complaint and asked further."And?"

"I couldn't sleep either. I missed how you caressed my and Mirha's heads simultaneously at night."

"Did you meet Mirha?" She asked.

"No." He shook his head.

"Then meet her. She is in my bedroom. I'll cook the breakfast by then." She said showing him her hands covered in dough.

"Okay." He nodded and freed her from his arms. He kissed her cheek and left to meet their two-year-old daughter Mirha.

✿ ✿ ✿

Fifteen minutes later, they were sitting on the dinning table and having their breakfast. Haya noticed how Miraal and Haris were behaving so normally as if they didn't live apart for six weeks.

"I am getting late for the college so I'll take my leave. Both of you enjoy your time together." Saying so, Haya quickly picked up her kit and headed to the main door.

Haris had Mirha in his lap who was sitting silently and staring at the patterns of tablecloth with curiosity.

"So how's business now?" Miraal asked. It was the frustration and anger of his losses in business that made him do what he should not have done. Picking on her small mistakes and pouring his anger on her.

"Better than earlier. You did right by leaving home, Miraal. I realised my mistakes when I had no one to blame." He confessed with his head hung low.

"Good thing." She put a morsel of Parantha in her mouth.

"Umm, Miraal, can you please come back home now? I miss you and Mirha." He requested his wife. He felt nervous about her decision. He was ashamed to take her presence in his life for granted. And she showed him how wrong he was by separating from him.

"Ammi-Abba are in Ahmedabad to attend a wedding. If I leave now, Haya will be alone at home. I will come back once Ammi-Abba will return back home." She answered to his request.

"Haya can also live with us for the mean time." He suggested in desperation.

Miraal did not reply and continued eating her breakfast. Haris understood the meaning of her silence and dismissed the idea.

"Alright, as you wish." He spoke.

Miraal looked at his untouched plate.

"You should eat the breakfast. Give Mirha to me." She stood up and to hold little Mirha in her arms.

Haris dipped a morsel in curd and ate it. Instantly he realised how much he missed her food all these weeks. Miraal smiled seeing the smile he had on his face.

She put Mirha down on the floor and the baby began walking taking slow steps around the living area. Miraal sat down beside Haris and turned towards him.

"Haris..."

"Hmm?" He asked while putting another morsel in his mouth.

"I love you, but not more than my self respect." She told him.

"I am sorry, Miraal. I forgot that when it comes to love, respect has a greater part than love itself."

Miraal smiled and moved to kiss him on his lips.

"Now quickly finish your breakfast. Are you on leave today?"

"Yes." He nodded.

"Then accompany me to Mirha's shopping."

"Okay." He agreed with a smile.

Suddenly, they heard a loud noise coming from the television in Haya's bedroom.

"Oh, Mirha switched on the TV! This girl!" Miraal ran inside Haya's room.

Haris just laughed and continued eating the breakfast with satisfaction.