6: "𝙸 𝚌𝚊𝚗'𝚝 𝚛𝚎𝚊𝚍 𝚌𝚞𝚛𝚜𝚒𝚟𝚎."

The bell of the high school in the Outer Banks was loud as it rang throughout the entire building, signaling it was lunch time for the students and teachers, meaning no classes for the next half hour or so. The sun was shining through the windows of the high school as students could be seen walking around the halls, lockers being heard opening and shutting, some students being seen in classrooms as they did homework.

The library in the building didn't have many people, at least two, including the librarian. The librarian's head snapped to the door as she watched the four Pogues walk inside, Pope being in the front as the other three called to him.

During class, the three older Pogues had been doing a test when a man had called Pope out into the hallway and when he came back in, an envelope was in his hand as he showed Kiara and JJ the stamp that kept it shut, the wheat symbol on it like the gold they had way before.

When the bell rang and JJ had been quick to meet up with his girlfriend like they always did, she had been showed the envelope and was now questioning Pope like the other two. The only couple of the group held each other's hands as the librarian shushed the couple while they made their way past her, hoping that Pope would finally tell them.

"Okay, so that guy was from the scholarship committee." Pope starts, finally giving in to tell his friends. "Take a look at this. Read it."

Taking the chance since the Heyward boy was currently holding out the envelope, JJ reached over his girlfriend and grabbed ahold of it, frantically taking the letter out as he stayed right beside Y/n, who had seated herself beside Kiara.

The two girls shared a glance as the blonde let his blue eyes scan through the letters that he had no idea what they were saying while the others waited, expecting for him to read it out loud but the boy only tensed and Y/n noticed it, making her brows furrow in confusion.

"Out loud." Y/n adds, brows still furrowed.

JJ gulps as he glances between them all. "I can't read cursive."

Brows raising a bit as he had never told her that, Y/n found herself sharing a glance with Kiara, who held the somewhat same expression before the Carrera girl reached out and grabbed the letter from the blonde, holding it in front of her, ready to read.

Meanwhile, the other three crowded around her as they peaked over her shoulders, JJ placing his hands on Y/n's shoulders, letting the pad of his thumb caress her clothed shoulder as he still tried to see what the words were actually saying.

"'Dear Mr. Heyward, I am reaching out because I have material evidence that can exonerate John B. Routledge. It is of vital importance that you come and meet with me in person at my offices at twenty-seven King Street, Charleston at eight p.m. sharp tonight. Please come alone. Regards, C. Limbrey'." Kie reads.

"Charleston?" Y/n and JJ repeat in shock.

"It's like an eight hour drive, plus the ferry." Pope informs. "How are we gonna get there tonight?"

"We'd have to leave right now." JJ states. "'Material evidence'? What does that even mean?"

"He can clear John B." Y/n realizes, her brother on her mind.

Kie nods, agreeing with her. "That's what it means."

"Oh, shit, then we're going to Charleston." JJ blurts out rather loudly, receiving a look from the librarian.

Kie sighs. "I gotta tell my mom."

"Look, if we get it this time, we are not giving it to Shoupe." Y/n adds, receiving agreements.

Meanwhile, as the three had been speaking to one another, neither of them noticed Pope was bent over a bit beside Kie, using the computer right in front of her as his hand moved the mouse and google soon was up onto the screen.