The Tragedy - Chapter 9

Everyone was sure McGee was going to get custody of Morgan, even the Fieldings were worried that they were going to lose. The final decision finally came.

"I have come to a decision." The judge said. "The arguments on both sides are very persuasive, so I am going to do something a little different. I am going to give Mr. and Mrs. Fielding custody of Morgan, but only for three months. It is going to be a test run. At the end of those three months, we will do another trial. If Miss McGee seems to be happier with Mr. and Mrs. Fielding, I give them full custody. If not, I am going to give Mr. McGee full custody of her. Mr. McGee will have arranged visits every two weeks. But, if Mr. or Mrs. Fielding abuse her, mentally or physically, put her in immediate danger, or refuse to let her meet with her father at the designated time, she will be sent back to her father and he will have full custody without trial. Miss McGee will be sent with the Fielding's tomorrow. You are all dismissed."

Morgan couldn't believe what she was hearing. Three months. She knew it was better than forever, but if they came back and the judge decided that the Fieldings were a better fit, she might never see her Dad again. She saw her father look at her, shock plastered across his face.

She wanted to start crying, begging the judge to reconsider, but she knew that wouldn't help things. So, she held herself together and sat there, processing the information.

"Come on, Morgan." Mrs. Fielding said, causing both father and daughter to jump a little. "We're going to your new home."

McGee saw Morgan shudder a bit. "The judge said she wasn't leaving until tomorrow."

Mrs. Fielding looked at her lawyer. Mr. Martin only nodded.

"Fine," Mrs. Fielding spat. "But we will be at your house first thing in the morning, so be ready."

When she left, Morgan took a deep breath, composing herself. She said her goodbyes to Ellie, Abby, Gibbs, Nick and Tony, who in return shared their disbelief. She knew they were trying to be sympathetic, but she could tell it wasn't helping her Dad, so she just walked out of the courthouse, hoping her Dad would follow her, and he did. The car ride was silent. Neither father nor daughter knew what to say. She felt like crying the whole time, but she knew she had to suck it up.

When they arrived at the house, Morgan went upstairs to her room, giving her and McGee some much needed space to clear their minds. She thought about reading, but she knew she wouldn't be able to focus, so she decided to take a shower. She stood under the hot water for about thirty minutes, trying to wash away her worries and fears. It helped a little bit. She slipped on an oversized sweatshirt and workout shorts, knowing there was no point in dressing nice. She also decided against drying her hair, since she preferred her natural waves over the straight hair a hair dryer would have given her. She pulled her suitcase out of her closet and started to pack some of her belongings, but she felt her stomach rumble and decided to get a snack from the kitchen.

When she walked downstairs, she saw her father sitting at the kitchen table, typing something on his computer. Instead of talking to him, she went straight to the fridge to find some yogurt. After rummaging through the doors for a moment, she heard him say, "I think we need to talk about what happened."

She paused for a moment, before grabbing a yogurt cup and closing the refrigerator door. "Okay."

McGee wasn't sure how to start. "Uh, how are you feeling?"

She looked up at him, surprised that he asked a question he already knew the answer to. "Not great."

"Yeah," he responded, looking down at the table. "I figured."

She inwardly sighed and sat at the table across from her father. "I'm more confused than anything. I thought I did pretty well on the stand. Did I say something wrong?"