The Tragedy - Chapter 26

As the night went on, McGee was constantly going back and forth between the bullpen, interrogation rooms, and the lab. Tony, Nick, Ellie and Gibbs had continued to interrogate the Fielding's throughout the night, but they wouldn't say anything else about the gang or why they were planning on kidnapping Morgan. This was frustrating not only for McGee, but for the whole team, because they didn't have much more time until they had to hand the Fieldings over to the police.

Gibbs knew that McGee wouldn't go home, because that would mean leaving Morgan at NCIS, so he ordered him to sleep, whether that was in Abby's lab, one of the conference rooms, his desk, or even in autopsy. McGee opted for an empty conference room, so he stole a pillow and blanket from Abby's lab and crashed on one of the tables. He didn't sleep long though, because after five hours, he woke up and was ready to work. By this time, it was 8:15 the next day, and Morgan was still asleep on the futon in Abby's office. Abby had slipped inside a couple of times to grab some papers and materials, but none of it caused Morgan to even stir.

While Morgan was asleep, the police had already come to NCIS and taken the Fieldings into custody, so the team was trying to work with what little information they had.

At 9:30, Morgan woke up, her airpods playing some random Shania Twain song from her playlist. She groggily took them out of her ears and placed them back in their case, while looking around the room, confused. It took her a few seconds to realize she was in Abby's office, and another ten seconds to remember the events of the night before. She simply sighed and grabbed her clothes, walking into the lab where Abby was running some facial recognition. "Morning, Abbs."

Abby turned around and smiled tiredly. "Hey, Morgan. How did you sleep?"

"Better than I expected." Morgan answered. "I'm just gonna go into the bathroom and get ready."

"That's fine." Abby responded while typing something into her computer. "Just come back here when you're done. I'll be right here if you need me."

Morgan just nodded and headed into the empty bathroom. There weren't a lot of people on Abby's floor of the building, especially this early, so she had the bathroom to herself. She changed her clothes, brushed her teeth, did her hair, put on some mascara and brushed out her eyebrows. She didn't look half bad, so she packed up everything and headed back to the lab where her Dad was talking to Abby. Morgan thought she could sneak back into Abby's office without him noticing, but as soon as she stepped into the lab, he turned around to face her. "Hey, M, how'd you sleep?"

"Fine." Morgan stated. Before anything else could be said, Abby's computer started beeping. She quickly pulled up an ID of someone on her big screen.

"I tracked down Armando Cabrera's father to a man named Emir Cabrera." Abby told the agent. "I'll look for any criminal records real quick."

Morgan looked at the unfamiliar man's face, but before she could ask any questions, Abby had already pulled up the records.

"He's currently wanted for smuggling drugs and illegal weapons out of the United States and into Paraguay." Abby stated. "According to these reports, he is the nephew of Gustavo Cabrera, who is now dead, but had dozens of warrants out for his arrest."

Abby pulled up an ID for Gustavo Cabrera, which made McGee mutter something. The girls looked at him expectantly.

"Gustavo Cabrera is 'el jefe'," McGee finally told them, "the gang leader I killed the first time I was in Paraguay. His son, Marcos Cabrera, was the boss we took down a couple of years ago. That would make Marcos and Emir cousins, which could mean that Emir was given full leadership of the gang after Marcos was killed."