the aftermath

─── THE AFTERMATH
(⌗ ♥︎! ) 一 the summer i turned pretty

         Before we continue, there's something you should know about Avery Camden to understand the reason behind her actions and reactions

Before we continue, there's something you should know about Avery Camden to understand the reason behind her actions and reactions. To understand her and not judge how she acted after that night.

Long story short, meeting Conrad Fisher on the playground when she was five was the best thing that could have ever happened to little Avery because meeting him not only gave her a friend, a best friend, something she didn't have before him, but a family.

Technically she had one.

A family.

She had a mother who ran away when she was months away from turning two years old, leaving her behind with her father. She has no memory of the woman, only the memory of knowing that she returned a few years later to get divorced from her father and how, as soon as she got what she wanted; the divorce and a big sum of money, she left again, never checking on the daughter she abandoned.

She had a father who loved his work and anything else more than his daughter, who he hated. A father who was never there for her and, on many occasions, had even forgotten about her. She was a burden to him, and he wouldn't miss an opportunity to let her know.

She had no one.

No mother.

Technically no father.

No siblings.

She had more nannies than she could keep count of. A small few of them had been total bitches, which were the ones she was happy to let go of, but it was still sad to see that not even the nice ones ever stuck around for longer than two months.

She had many almost stepmothers and, so far, two stepmothers, who all disliked her maybe just as much as her father.

When she met Conrad, she became part of his family. For the first time in her life, she got to experience what being in a family that was close to each other and full of love felt like. The Fisher's were everything younger Avery thought she would only get to have in her dreams. They took her in as if she shared their blood and wasn't just their son's annoying friend who lived two blocks from their house.

She became an honorary Fisher family member. The daughter Susannah used to wish she had. The older sister, who Jeremiah at first hated but now was closer to than he was to his brother. The Fisher's became her family, her home, and Avery couldn't afford to lose them.

That's why she told herself that she wouldn't and wasn't allowed to act on her new feelings for her best friends. Because following her heart could lead to a possible future where she would lose her family, and she wasn't going to let that happen.

Well, that was before the kiss happened.

Before Conrad kissed her.

Avery had no idea how to react after it, reason why she didn't say a word after it happened. Why she just hugged him, enjoyed the comfort of his embrace, and then walked away without saying a word.