muffin crumbs

─── MUFFIN CRUMBS
(⌗ ♥︎! ) 一 the summer i turned pretty

───  MUFFIN CRUMBS(⌗ ♥︎! ) 一 the summer i turned pretty ❜

AGE SIXTEEN

         "Stop leaving crumbs all over the car! Do you want Susannah to kill us or something?" Avery yelled at her best friend before she took a bite of the freshly baked muffin in her right hand.

Maybe getting muffins and eating them in the woman's car, only minutes after they picked it up from the car wash, hadn't been their brightest idea.

"It's her fault for letting us pick it," he shrugged, "Also, I've already planned on blaming it all on you, so I guess she will be killing you," he pouted in fake pity for a second before a playful smile took over his face.

"I think she's going to notice the crumbs and remember she asked you to pick the car up from the car wash," she copied the way he had shrugged, "Ans I was kidnapped from my house because you wanted to see me,"

"But you manipulated me into buying them for you and ate them in the car, even though you don't know how to eat and sit still," he was grinning.

"The crumbs are all over your seat, idiot," she pointed out.

"Because you wanted to drive, and I, as the good friend that I am, risked my life by letting you!" he responded quickly as he took a bite of the muffin.

Avery couldn't stop herself from rolling her eyes as she hit the boy on the shoulder, only, to her annoyance, for his grin to grow bigger. He turned to her, planning on continuing to annoy her, when he noticed that her upper lip had a little bit of the muffin's pink cream, and he had to make himself look away, feeling his heart grow heavy after thinking how adorable she looked.

It had been a while since the best friends had last seen each other. The Fisher's left for Cousins Beach about two months ago, like they do every year, and arrived home five days ago. On the other hand, Avery spent the past month in New York City, where she met her dad's fiancée, the possible third wife, and had arrived home the previous night.

Avery's eyes felt heavy and tired because of the lack of sleep from her trip. She was still wearing her pajamas — one of Conrad's old football shirts, gray pajama shorts, and blue socks with purple dinosaurs in them — and her curls were messy, lazily falling on her shoulders since she hadn't cared to fix herself before leaving her house after Conrad knocked on her door to ask her if she wanted to go pick up Susannah's car from the car wash with him.

Obviously, she said yes. She had missed the boy more than usual that summer. There had been too many changes, and even though she had Owen with her the whole time, it wasn't the same as having her best friend there. She wasn't going to tell him, though. — And early morning drives with Conrad, with the windows down and the morning air brushing their skins, were some of her favorite small moments with him.