cousins beach

─── COUSINS BEACH
(⌗ ♥︎! ) 一 the summer i turned pretty

───  COUSINS BEACH(⌗ ♥︎! ) 一 the summer i turned pretty ❜

         Avery Camdem always hated the summer break. At first, it was because she couldn't use school as an excuse to escape from her home life, and after she met Conrad because he would leave her as soon as the break started. For the past ten years, her summers have started on the day she would stand in the Fisher's driveway, with Adam Fisher by her side, as they watched them drive away. Avery spent years dreaming of sitting in that car and leaving her family behind for two months. She never told them that, just like she never asked why they never asked her to go with them.

This year things had finally changed.

"Are you excited?" Susannah asked, locking eyes with the girl through the rearview mirror.

"I don't think I've ever been this excited..." she was beaming, no longer afraid of showing how excited she felt.

"I can't wait for you and Belly to meet!" Susannah said dreamily, "My two girls. Oh, you are so going to adore her, Avery!" If Avery could see the woman as happy as she looked at that exact moment, she would have done anything to make it happen, "I'm so sure that you two are going to be inseparable by the end of the summer..." she sighed, letting her smile fade a little bit, which worried the younger girl, "If only I hadn't been so selfish and taken you with us earlier. I wanted to keep you both to myself instead of introducing you-"

That was the first time Avery got even remotely close to getting the answer as to why she had never been invited but didn't get to hear it because Jeremiah decided to interrupt, "It's too early to get sappy mother!" he told the woman who, in response, glared at him, "Sorry, but you have the whole summer to cry every time they breathe the same air, I only have this car ride to catch Avery up with all the Cousins gossip that she has to know!"

Avery couldn't stop the laugh that left her lips. She was more than used to Jeremiah's nonsense, yet decided to encourage him by saying, "Please tell me everything!" the boy turned to face her, excitement taking over his features. "Sorry, Sus..." she smiled apologetically at the woman, "You know your son. Nothing can stop him from gossiping."

"And nothing can stop you either," she laughed, "But he's right. I have the whole summer to be sappy, so talk, do whatever you want."

"Good!" Jeremiah exclaimed, clapping his hands and beginning to tell Avery everything, not caring that his mother could hear every word he said.

Conrad put his headphones on the moment his brother began to talk. He knew Jeremiah would keep Avery company and wouldn't let her get bored the whole ride, which gave him time to wallow by himself. He pressed play on the music, putting it on the loudest volume he could, trying to occupy his thoughts with the rhythm and lyrics instead of focusing on the growing pain in his chest.