on top of the world

─── ON TOP OF THE WORLD
(⌗ ♥︎! ) 一 the summer i turned pretty

         It was the 4th of July, which meant Susannah woke up extra early to decorate the beach house and set everything up for their annual party

         It was the 4th of July, which meant Susannah woke up extra early to decorate the beach house and set everything up for their annual party. Avery knew that every year, as long as they had spent their summers there, Susannah had gone all out to throw a party in honor of the holiday and that it was the one day the dads' were allowed to visit during the summer. It was part of their summer tradition, and from then on, Avery would be part of it too.

"Yo, I'm going to go wash the clams," Conrad told his brother as he and Avery, who had just finished setting up some pennants by the front door, walked into the kitchen, where he and Belly were having breakfast, "Did you get the lighter fluid?"

"Yeah, it's already on the beach," Jeremiah responded, putting down a bowl of cereal with only milk.

"Do you want to help or...?" Conrad asked his best friend, even though he knew she would want to stay at the house.

"I'll join you in a bit," she said, just like he had expected, "I want to eat something first,"

"See ya," he nodded, holding himself back from grazing his hand against hers or pulling her into a quick kiss, and walked out of the room when Susannah and Steven walked in.

"Are we done with the portrait yet?" Steven, who Susannah decided would be the second one to get his portrait painted, Conrad being the first, asked.

"Yeah, for today," Susannah responded, smiling as the boy groaned, "But you do look good in a dress shirt, Steven," she added, patting his back.

Avery was making her way to the table, a bowl full of cereal and spoon in hand, when Susannah said, "Which makes me think, if Belly doesn't hurry up and ask Cam to that ball, you should take her."

The woman's comment was followed by a scream and Belly saying, "Ew. No way," as she shook her head.

"No, no, no, yeah, yeah, yeah," Steven turned quickly towards the woman, looking just as disgusted as his sister, "I'm already going with Shayla,"

"To the debutante ball?" Laurel asked as she walked into the kitchen.

"Yes."

"As an escort?"

"Wrap your head around it, Mom, all right?" if Avery didn't know that a few days ago, he cheated on the girl with his sister's best friend, she would have believed he was in love with her because of the way he was smiling, "Shayla's coming today so you'll meet her,"

"That's wonderful." Susannah chimed in to say before looking at the table where Jeremiah, Belly, and Avery sat, "Oh, and don't forget, Ms. Covington's first dance rehearsal is tomorrow, so, uh, tick-tock,"

"I'm asking Cam today," Belly mumbled.

"I don't know my kids anymore," said Laurel.

"Did you hear that, Ry?" Susannah said, and the girl immediately cursed, "No more skipping rehearsal," she really shouldn't be surprised that the woman found out because she always knows everything.