years

─── YEARS
(⌗ ♥︎! ) 一 the summer i turned pretty

         Avery should have learned by now that her plans never go how she wants them to

Avery should have learned by now that her plans never go how she wants them to. During the tea, which had been long and boring, she decided that the moment she was back at the beach house, she would find Conrad and talk to him. She wasn't planning on discussing the kiss. Not yet. She wasn't ready for that, but she was ready to ask if he was really willing to wait for her.

But things didn't go according to what she planned because as the girls were walking out of the country club, Belly asked if she could help her get ready for her date with Cam, the boy she had been at the bonfire with. And, to her luck, after the younger girl left with her date, she didn't have time to find her best friend because it was her turn to get ready, only she wasn't going on a date but to Laurel's book party.

Every movement and action came along with a Conrad-related thought. From flashes of the kiss to the words in his note. Doing something as simple as thinking of her best friend was beginning to drive her insane.

She heard his voice in the hallway, followed by the sound of the door closing after him giving away where he was. Quickly, she finished applying her makeup before walking out of her room and taking a few steps to reach the door across from hers. She stood by his door for a second, trying to pull herself together, before finally knocking on it.

"Who is it?" he asked coldly.

"Avery,"

In a matter of seconds, the door was wide open. Conrad stood inside the room, with a hand on the doorknob, staring at her as if he couldn't believe she was there, "Come in," he said softly.

Their shoulders brushed softly as she entered the room, causing Avery to feel as if her whole body had been set on fire. Conrad closed the door after her, resting his back against it as he watched the girl walk to the bay window across from him and sit on it. They were face to face, eyes locked with one another's. They stood on opposite sides of the room, yet the space between them felt nonexistent.

She noticed the way he was looking at her. From head to toe, eyes glancing over every part of her. How his lips slightly parted as he looked at her with what seemed to be hunger. Has he always looked at me like that? she wondered. Have I been so blind this whole time?

"Hi," he spoke softly,

"Hey," she played with her rings, letting him know she was just as nervous as he was.

"You look gorgeous," he smiled at her.

She felt her cheeks growing hot as she said, "Thanks,"

"What are you-"

"I found the note," she interrupted him, "and I read it." his eyes were distant as he looked at her.

"And?" he gulped.