The scorch trials: Prologue

Grace rested her head against the copper window while Newt's head laid on her shoulder. The boy snored softly as he slept, Grace looking around to the other Gladers. The only ones awake were herself, Thomas and Minho. Teresa, Winston, Frypan and Jack were all sleeping just like Newt was. 

The group of twenty-one Gladers had been split up over three coppers, around seven each. She was glad to still be with all her friends, or at least, those who survived. She let it all sink in, the images of Jeff flashing through her mind as she tried to shake it, shaking her head at herself. 

''Hey, Grace, you alright?'' Minho's hand reached across, placing his hand on her knee as she looked up, the tears peaking through as he moved closer, ''hey, let it all out, you just lost your friends, you need to grieve.'' 

She broke, her sobs breaking through as Newt woke up, his eyes disoriented before seeing Grace crying next to him. He turned to Minho for a moment, nodding at him as the Brit pulled his girlfriend into his  side. ''That's it, let it all out.''

The helicopter landed as frantic screams went over, waking the others as the Gladers were pushed out of the helicopter, running towards a building as Minho and Thomas were at the front. Grace held onto Newt's hand as they ran, the girl slowing to his pace as he limped. 

When they were finally inside, the door closed behind them, Newt turned to Grace and pulling her closer as they were pushed into a room. ''Get inside, hurry, hurry!'' The door was slammed shut behind him, Thomas banging his fist on the door. ''Hey, hey, hey! Let us out!'' The lights went on, all Gladers turning to a table filled with food.

''Dibs on the rice.'' Frypan spoke quickly as they all pushed and shoved passed each other, shoving food into their mouths. Various foods were spread around, chicken, rice, cookies, water, fruit. Grace pushed herself to the front, quickly filling her plate with the food.

''This is way better than Frypan's slop.'' Winston spoke between chews. They all laughed as Teresa threw a handful of rice towards him, which resulted in all of them throwing food to one another. ''The rice, not the rice!'' Frypan grabbed on of the bowls, holding it to his body as Newt pushed a handful of rice into Grace's face, the girl gasping as Newt and Minho teamed up on her. ''Teresa! Help!'' Teresa did so, pulling Minho away as Grace pulled Newt to her, kissing him while grabbing a handful of saus, and throwing it in his face. 

''See! Teresa is the only friend I have here.'' She high-fived the other girl as the group spent the rest of their diner actually eating and laughing. 

''I don't know who these guys are, but they can cook.'' Frypan spoke as they all sat in a circle, some still eating. ''But who are they really? We don't know anything about them.'' Teresa spoke, leaning her head on her elbow as she sat on a stack of bags filled with flower.

''Well, we know they're no friends of WICKED.'' Newt spoke from besides her. ''That's good enough for me.'' Newt pulled Grace into his side, throwing his arm around her shoulder, the girl chuckling and putting her head on his shoulder. 

''You guys think too much, we're free. Enjoy it.'' Minho spoke from where he was laying on one of the tables, throwing his arms behind his head. 

About an hour later, the door opened, all Gladers standing up as a man walked in.  ''You kids doing all right? Sorry about all the fuss. We had ourselves a bit of a swarm.''

''Who are you?'' Thomas asked him. ''I'm the reason you're all still alive. It's my intention to keep you that way. Now, come with me. We'll get you kids squared away.'' Walking into the hallway and around the building, Newt and Grace walked hand-in-hand behind Minho and Thomas. ''You can call me Mr. Janson. I run this place. For us it is a sanctuary, safe from the horrors of the outside world. You all should think of it as a way station. Kind of a home between homes.'' He pointed up, where shards of electricity and fire fell down. ''Watch yourselves.''

''That mean you're taking us home?'' Thomas asked, the hopefulness obvious in his voice. ''A home of sorts.'' Janson turned around again, ''Sadly, there wouldn't be much left of wherever you came from. But we do have a place for you. A refuge, outside the Scorch, where WICKED will never find you again.'' He smiled at the group before turning back. ''How does that sound?'' Grace turned to Newt mummering under her breath, ''too good to be true.'' Minho nodded as he spoke. ''Why are you helping us?''

''Let's just say the world out there is in a rather precarious situation. We're all hanging on by a very thin thread. The fact that you kids can survive the Flare virus... makes you the best chance of humanity's continued survival. Unfortunately, it also makes you a target, as no doubt by now you've noticed.'' 

''Only a bit.'' Grace answered as she lifted her eyebrows, the other Gladers chuckling. ''Beyond this door lies the beginning of your new lives. First things first...'' The door behind him opened as he turned to the teenagers. ''let's do something about that smell.''

Let's get this book started! I am so excited to start and I cannot wait for you guys to see it! I hope you enjoyed this chapter and if you did, please leave a vote, comment and add this book to your reading list! See you on Wednesday!

-X Violet's-library