12. Unlucky Day

The events that happened last night kept replaying in Kii's head. It didn't even feel real, almost like it was just a dream. No- a nightmare.

Why did I do that? Why? Why? Why?

Kii flipped over on her back and stared up at her ceiling.

Maybe I should give up ownership of my Death Note... I know! I'll call Light and talk to him about it!

Kii turned over to her side and grabbed her cellphone. Her thumb hovered over Light's contact.

No. It's like Rem said before, this is for me to decide. Not him or anyone else. Just me.. And he's probably in school.... I didn't go today because I just can't face Light. I'm too embarrassed.

Kii groaned and shoved her face into her pillow and screamed. Good thing her mom was at work.

I can't keep thinking about this. I have graduation tomorrow! I need to start thinking about what I'm going to do for my feature. I don't even know what University I want to go to...

~

Graduation Day

Kii sat behind Light and L's empty seats listening to their speeches. People around her whispered about how completely opposite they are.

Kii rolled her eyes in annoyance. Although she couldn't disagree that Light and L really do look like exact opposites. Light was wearing a neat suit and looked very groomed. But L wore his usual jeans and white sleeved shirt with no shoes. His hair looked like it wasn't even brushed.

After they both finished everyone clapped excluding Kii. She felt like the walls were closing in on her and she couldn't breathe. Standing up, Kii slipped out of the crowd unnoticed.

Exiting outside, Kii let out a sigh of relief as she breathed in the fresh cool air. If she had stayed in there any longer she's sure she would have passed out.

I'm not even going to bother going back in.

Kii walked until she came across a school bench under the cherry blossom trees. She sat down and enjoyed the quiet peaceful scenery with no thoughts in mind. It felt nice to just relax.

Unfortunately, it was short lived when she saw Light and L approaching her.

This must be my unlucky day. Tch, more like my unlucky month.

"So this is where you were. You just kind of disappeared, I was worried." Light said standing infront of her.

Ever since that one night Light had been acting weird towards Kii. Like.. instead of faking or forcing emotions, he actually did care about her well being.

"Yeah, sorry. I think I might just be a bit sick. Congratulations by the way, I really liked your guy's speeches." Kii smiled and bowed her head.

L sat beside Kii and peered at her closely, "You look pale. Is everything alright?"

Kii leaned away and held up her hands in defense, "Oh no, it's nothing. I'm going to get a drink, do you guys want anything?" Asked Kii as she stood up.

"I'll go with you." Light said quickly making Kii's heart race.

No.

L narrowed his eyes at Light, "I will also come. I heard they have cake in the cafeteria."

Even worse.

Suddenly a large group of people came over and started congratulating Light. Kii backed away slightly and ran into someone behind her. Their hand touched her butt on accident. Kii blushed and turned around.

L.

"Uh, um... sorry I didn't-" Kii stuttered.

"-It's fine. It was just an accident."

Why'd he say it like that?

Kii escaped the crowd with L and they both walked into the school's cafeteria. Kii and L sat an empty table.

This is so awkward I don't know what to say.

Thankfully L spoke up breaking the silence, "Do you plan on going to the same University as Light?"

That was random.

"I don't know yet, to be honest. I did apply to a few Universities though." Kii looked down at her hands that rested on the table, "I don't even know what it is I want to do. I'm flirting with going to America but I haven't made up my mind."

L sat beside Kii shocked.

I didn't expect that type of answer.

"I see. Have you thought about helping with the Kira investigation? You could be of great help."

Kii frowned, "Maybe. Ugh I don't know, my head is so foggy!"

"I suggest helping." L said.

Maybe I should give up ownership of the Death Note after all. It's done nothing but have been a burden to me. It's a lot of weight on my shoulders and I always feel stressed. But.. Light.. I should definitely talk to him before I make any rash decisions. L is right, I should help with the Kira investigation until I know what I want to do!

Kii felt a spark of hope ignite in her chest and turned to L with a closed eye smile, "Thanks! I feel a lot better now! I'll help you with the Kira case." Kii kissed L's cheek before standing up and walking away.

L watched her go as he placed a hand on the cheek Kii kissed, "I could fall for you.."

~

"Life is a series of choices. Because of the choices I made, I am now facing a rather troublesome situation." ~Amakusa, Kanade