005

The gun safe clicked off, and I gasped. "Your move, broski."

"JJ, put the gun down!" Sarah yelled and the first time in forever, I agreed.

"Did you say something, princess?" JJ asked her. Sarah backed away, almost tripping on herself. "JJ! Stop!"

"Put the gun down, please!" I shouted, and he looked up at me, as I neared him. "JJ, this isn't you right now. And I know goddamn well that you wouldn't shoot anyone. You're drunk as fuck, and I know you hate being hungover," I said, afraid that what I said would actually happen.

I grabbed his wrist, slowly pointing the gun away from alive people. Topper, not feeling a muzzle of a firearm on his head, began moving away.

I slowly put my hands in the air, showing that I wasn't going to do anything. Before anything else could happen, JJ spoke.

"Okay, everyone, listen up! Get the hell off our side of the island!!" He shouted and everyone ran off the beach as he pointed the gun in the air, firing it twice. Being so close to the firearm, it hurt my ears to the point I could barely hear. I got down and helped my brother, who almost immediately fainted.

"What the hell was that, JJ?!" I shouted as Pope and Kie looked at John B. I pushed him. "Saving your ass, that's what happened! That douche would've beat your ass again if it weren't for me!"

"I didn't ask you to do it!" I snapped back. I stopped talking and turned my head. "I could've handled him. I did it for 2 years. You're being a bitch. He's being a bitch," I said, meaning Topper, "and I need my rest. I'll see y'all's tomorrow."

Silence. I began running as far as my legs could take me.

Silence.

I stopped, grabbing my journal.

Silence. I entered the grassy area.

"Wait, Dylan!" He yelled after me.

It was too late, I already took off, running back home. Till I saw him again the next day.

-|-

There's something people need to know about Dad.

A week before he went missing, he says to me and John B, "Bird, Zazu, I think I found something. Your Uncle T's gonna come stay for a while. I might have to vanish for a bit." So, he tells us about vanishing, then leaves. Everyone said he died at sea... he's still out there. I know. I'm positive.

-|-

"Morning, sleepyhead," I told John B, as he woke up from a dream on his bed. Sheriff Peterkin stood beside me. "Get decent, sweetie. We need to talk," she told him.

-|-