054

Once we finally made it to Charleston, we drove to the address this Limbrey person left on the card.

When we got there, it was a ginormous hotel. Except, something told me it wasn't a hotel. It was an entire house.

JJ sat beside me, with one hand resting on my thigh, periodically squeezing it.

"They're a bunch of fancy people. They've had like, three governors in the family. They've run Charleston for like, 300 years," I explained, examining the large building.

"These Kooks make our Kooks look like Pogues," JJ added. He was right, it was absolutely ginormous. "You sure this is the place, Pope?"

"Pretty sure."

I nodded, with a sigh. "Alright," JJ said, as we all began getting out of the truck.

We all walked up to the front gate, with long spikes overtop.

"Twenty-Seven King Street," Pope agreed.

"Talk about home security," JJ said, examining 9 foot tall gate, with the spikes on top. "Are those spikes to keep people out?" JJ questioned, and I shook my head.

"No," Kie said.

"The slave corners are over there," Pope explained, pointing inside the gate. He let out a deep sigh. "These spikes were to keep people in."

...

Pope banged the metal-knocker against the door three times, as we stood there. We could hear the bangs echo throughout the house inside.

"You think that was too much?" Pope said, turning his head to me and JJ.

"It echoed the entire house. That's for sure," JJ shrugged, "so they definitely heard it."

"Maybe nobody's home," Kie added, optimistically.

"Just give it some time—" I began, as Pope began to knock again. As third time he knocked, the door opened, and a middle-aged man stepped into the doorway.

He examined all of us, then looked back at Pope. "You must be Pope," he pointed.

"Umm..."

Pope looked at JJ. "Are you Mr. Limbrey?"

"Ms. Limbrey was expecting you yesterday," the man clarified.

"Oh, I'm... I'm sorry. My car broke down on the way up here," Pope explained.

"Carburetor blew up in the middle of nowheresville," JJ added, "sorry about that."

The man nodded, crossing his arms and leaning against the doorframe. "Yeah, she was, uh, real upset when you didn't show up," he explained.

"We tried to call. There was no number on the invitation. We got here as fast as we could," I stepped in, putting my hands on my hips and nodding.

"She also expected you to come alone," the man said to Pope.

"I mean, these are my friends. They helped find the Royal Merchant too. I—" he began, getting cut off.

"The instructions were explicit. Your friends can stay outside."

We all stood there, trying to exchange a look with Pope, who looked dead-panned. "We're kind of a package deal, man-" JJ said.

Pope turned to him. "JJ. It's okay. I got this. I'll be good."

He looked at me, giving me a hopeful look. He turned around to Kie, who was standing behind him. "Yeah. We'll be right here."

They grabbed each other's hands, sharing a longing look.