• Twelve •

"Why aren't you coming?" Lauren pouted, sad that Jolene didn't want to go to the "farewell party" that was happening tonight on the cruise ship.

They had finished their island tour, and they were going back to the main island of Crete to spend the last few days there; therefore, there's a small party on the ship again, for memories' sake.

"Is it because of Andrew...?" She asked

"No, you can stop mentioning his name now; me and him are strangers from now on," Jolene said, slightly raising her voice.

"Sorry," Lauren said, feeling bad.

"I'll be fine, Ren. Go hang out with Dec. and spend some quality time together," she encouraged her.

"Ok, but answer your phone because I will check up on you," Lauren pointed at her.

"Don't worry....by the way, is Mase going?" Jolene asked curiously

"I think he's going; his foot is still painful, but he said he was still going," Lauren responded.

"Ok, make sure-"

Jolene got interrupted by a knock on the door, which Lauren quickly opened, finding Mason standing there.

"I'll leave you guys to it," Lauren smiled, letting Mason go in and walking herself out.

"Hey Mase," Jolene smiled

"Hey," he shut the door and slowly walked over to her bed; his foot was still hurting but he could still walk on it.

"Is your foot ok," she properly sat up.

"Yeah, it's fine," he assured her, "aren't you coming?" He asked

"I'm not really in the mood for it; I'd rather just read my book."

"Are you sure?" He softly asked, putting his hand over her thigh to show comfort.

She felt her heart beat fast again; it had only been a few hours since their first kiss and confession, and she couldn't help but still feel nervous around him.

"I can't stay with you if not," Mason suggested.

She looked at him with a smile, not being able to contain herself. She leaned in and pressed a kiss on his lips, realizing he was smiling when she pulled back slowly, "I'll be fine, I promise."

———

It had been about an hour, and Nathan was doing whatever he was doing—drinking and letting the alcohol do the talking. Mason was with Declan and Lauren, chit-chatting and ordering drinks.

"Ugh, they got the wrong order again," Lauren rolled her eyes as she got her drink. "I'll be right back," she left the two boys.

"Is your foot ok, bro?" Declan asked before taking a sip of his drink.

"It stings a bit, but it should be fine," he responded.

"How the hell did that even happen?" Declan chuckled, still finding it funny how his beat friend managed to hurt himself.

"Bro, I didn't see them; they were hiding under the sand," Mason chuckled.

"Yoooo!" they heard Nathan behind them, both turning around to face him.

"Mate, where have you been, always lost?" Declan laughed at his state.

"I think I'm in love, boys," he put his arms around both their shoulders.

"Wow...a new girl?" Mason asked surprised.

"She's so fucking hot, it's unreal," he said, making the two boys laugh

"We would love to meet her mate," Declan said

"Oh yea for sure, I think I need to ask her out first", Nathan slurred

"You haven't asked her out yet and you're already in love?" Mason asked

"Exactly," Nathan responded, proud of himself, "maybe Lauren can give me advice," he looked around for her.

"Where is she, it's been a while?" Mason chuckled as they all looked around for her.

"What the fuck?" Declan said loudly.

Before Nathan and Mason could comprehend anything, they watched him walk over to the bar, pushing a guy away from Lauren.

"Someone is going to get hurt," Nathan slurred with a chuckle. Mason quickly walked over, trying to calm Declan down; he was pretty angry.

"Can you stop overreacting?" Lauren tried to drag him away from the guy.

"Overreacting? You think I'm going to let a guy touch your fucking waist?" He raised his voice at her, causing everyone to look over at him.

"Walk away," Mason looked at the guy who had started it all; he left without questioning it, not wanting to escalate things.

"Declan, calm down." Mason turned his gaze to him.

"Don't get involved, mate, just leave," he pushed Mason slightly, causing him to feel pain in his foot when he had to balance himself from falling.

"Can you calm down, his foot is still sore, you dickhead," Lauren held Mason, not letting him fall over.

"It's fine, Ren," Mason assured her.

"I don't understand why you're being so cool about it. He touched you!" Declan said, frustrated, completely ignoring the fact that he had almost pushed his best friend over. "You walk away when it happens; do you fucking hear me?" He almost yelled, obviously letting the alcohol take over.

"It would be much easier to walk away if you hadn't been so fucking dramatic and let me handle it on my own. You actually think I would let anyone touch me? I'm not an idiot, Declan; I'm well aware of how to protect myself; it's not like it's the first time this shit has happened," she snapped back.

She walked away before Declan could say anything else. He looked at her, not knowing what to do at this point.

"Yooo, what was that?" Nathan walked over, not taking things seriously, and would probably ruin Declan's mood more.

"Go back to the room, woods," Mason looked at him. Nathan could suddenly sense the tension and decided to listen to Mason.

"I'm not sleeping in the same room as her," Declan crossed his arms.

"Stop being childish," Mason looked at him.

"I have every right to be angry,"

"At her? No, absolutely not. Instead of asking her if she's ok, you jumped to the conclusion that she was enjoying being touched by another guy? Get it together, Dec," Mason talked some sense into him.

"You sleep in my room tonight; I'm going to Jolene. And the first thing in the morning, you apologize to your girlfriend," he warned him before walking away.

Mason took himself over to Jolene's door, knocking, hoping she hadn't fallen asleep.

"Mase?" She opened the door; lights were still on in her room, and her bed looked messy; she had been reading this whole time under the covers.

"Hey uhmm...can I sleep here?" He hesitantly asked

"Yeah, of course...did something happen?" She asked concerned as she let him in.

"Dec and Ren had a fight; they won't talk, at least not now, so I let Dec stay at mine," he explained.

"Oh...is it serious?" She asked concerned.

"I don't know, both seemed very angry, but I think they'll work it out," he sighed.

"Ok, that's good," she smiled, "you must be tired though. Foot still hurting?" She asked.

"Still a bit sore, but not that serious," he confirmed.

"Great, I have extra tooth brushes if you want to brush your teeth," she grabbed one from her suitcase.

"Thanks," he smiled as he grabbed it from her. As he went to get ready for bed, Jolene went back and sat down on the right side of the king-sized bed, leaving room for Mason too. She grabbed her book and continued reading, waiting for him.

Mason took his time and finished, he walked over to her, "you sure it's ok for me to sleep here?" he asked.

"Of course, Mase, it would be nice with some company," she smiled, causing him to smile back. They've slept in the same bed hundreds of times, but this time it was different, because both of them had feelings involved.

"Still reading the same book?" He asked, laying down under the covers.

"Yup, I only have a few chapters left, but I think I'll save it for tomorrow," she said, closing the book.

"You can still read if you want, I don't mind," he told her.

"No it's ok, my eyes are getting tired," she chuckled as she laid down too.

They were both now laying on their sides, face to face, enjoying each other's company.

"I always forget you have freckles," she smiled, gently placing her finger on his face and tracking the freckles.

"You have them too," he chuckled.

"I hate mine,"

"You shouldn't," he told her.

"Why?"

"Because it's beautiful on you...It always has been," he shyly said.

Her heart beat faster, feeling nervous around him again, being this close to each other, him complimenting her, and the fact that they had both confessed their feelings already but were still taking it slow. It all felt like a dream.

"Thank you," she managed to say without sounding nervous.

He smiled, leaning up to place a kiss on her forehead, "night, Jolly."

"Night, Mase," she smiled, turning the lights off.