• Twenty-six •

Today was the day Mason was leaving London with his teammates. They're playing against AC Milan at San Siro, meaning they'll be traveling to Italy for the second leg of the Champions League group stages.

Since Jolene was free on the weekends, she and Mason agreed that she would take him to Cobham, she had nothing to do anyway and she wanted to give him a proper goodbye.

The bus was waiting for the players in Cobham.
Mason and Jolene were currently on their way right now; things had been pretty quiet between them, although there were a few conversations here and there. It was just really early in the morning, and they had stayed up late at night, talking and cuddling.

"You nervous?" She asked him as she looked at him; he was driving the car, but Jolene would take over later when she was going back.

"Not really. Maybe before the game, but not right now," he said with a smile.

"I have a feeling you're going to score," she said, determined that her guts were going to be right.

"It's not going to be easy, but I'll definitely try," he giggled, putting his hand on her thigh and squeezing it lightly.

"Whatever happens, I know you'll do great." She placed her hand on his, showing him affection.

"Thank you," he smiled at her.

A couple of minutes later, they had arrived at Cobham. Many of the boys were seen parking their cars and greeting each other near the entrance. Both Jolene and Mason got out; she was going over to the driver's seat but before that, she gave him a proper goodbye.

She wrapped her arms around his waist; his arms were wrapped around her neck. Both hugged each other tight. Even if he was going to be away for just two days, it was still the first time they would be away from each other for so long as a couple, and it was definitely a strange feeling for both.

"Have a safe trip," she mumbled against his chest.

"Be safe you too; call or text if anything happens," he said, leaning back from the hug to cup her cheeks in his palms.

"I will," she assured him; "I'll see you in two days." She placed a kiss on his lips.

"See you soon. Love you."

"I love you too," she smiled at him, letting him go to his friends who had been staring at the two. She could hear the banter as soon as Mason walked over to them—just the usual teasing and telling him how whipped he is.

Jolene took a seat in the car, waving one last goodbye to him before leaving Cobham with his car. Mason waved back before following his teammates to the bus.

They boys sat at their usual spots, Mason was sitting with Ben, Kai, and Trevoh. It wasn't going to be a long trip to the airport, but they still made themselves comfortable, deciding to play cards and having their usual stupid and weird conversations.

Jolene decided to take herself to a café, sit there, and read for a bit. She couldn't go a day without reading, and the fact that she had skipped reading yesterday made her a bit disappointed in herself.

She took a seat in the corner at the café, far from the other people there. She ordered her usual cup of tea and a pastry to eat with, opened her book, and started reading.

———

It had been less than an hour before the boys had boarded their plane to Italy. Mason was sitting next to Ben, who had the window seat. He found it the right time to call Jolene, to tell her that he has boarded the plane, but also make sure she had gone home safely.

"Everything good, bro?" Ben asked, seeing Mason with a worried look on his face.

"She's not answering," Mason sighed, looking at his phone screen, trying to call her again.

"Maybe she's busy; don't worry too much," Ben chuckled.

Mason didn't answer him; instead, he went into this app he had downloaded to check her location, "Woah, woah, woah, you're tracking her?" Ben asked confused.

"I just need to see where she is," Mason focused on his phone

"A bit controlling too much?" Ben looked at him with a weird look

"What? No, you don't understand, it's necessary right now," Mason said, not having the time to explain now that he was worrying.

"Does she know?" Ben asked curious

"No," Mason looked at Ben, knowing it sounded messed up.

"Don't tell me you have trust issues over the poor girl," Ben rolled his eyes.

"Of course not, it's just..." Mason sighed, knowing he had to tell Ben the reason or else he would make himself look pretty stupid and insecure, "her dad is trying to reach out to her, and she doesn't want to see him, the guy found her number and I'm just worried he'll reach out another way, I just need to know that she's safe when I'm not there," Mason explained.

"Ohhh....yea that kind of makes sense," Ben said.

"Ugh, thank god," Mason let out a deep breath as he saw Jolene calling him back.

"Mason, is everything ok?" She asked, worried after finding five missed calls from him.

"Yes...I mean no. Why didn't you answer? Are you okay? Did something happen?"

"I'm ok, I'm just sitting at a café and reading my book," she explained to him, confused as to why he was so worried.

"Oh, ok," he said, relieved.

"Mason, you don't have to worry about me; I'm being careful you know," she told him.

"I know, I'm sorry. I just needed to know if you had made it back safe."

"I'll text when I'm at your house; have you guys boarded yet?" She asked

"Yeah, they're lifting soon."

"Good. I'll hear from you soon, ok? Make sure to get some rest and drink a lot of water," she reminded him

He smiled at how caring she was. She would always look out for him even if she wasn't there. "Yea, talk to you soon. I love you."

"I love you more," she said before they hung up.

———

It had been a couple of hours since the phone call. Jolene had gone back to Mason's house and didn't do much after that. The whole day was pretty boring for her, especially now that Mason was gone; she didn't know what to distract herself with other than making herself some food and reading more.

Even when she was supposed to go to sleep to get ready for work the next day, she just couldn't sleep. She had face-timed Mason just for a couple of minutes; it was pretty late and he was tired too, so the call ended pretty quickly.

Her mind was thinking all sorts of things. mainly about her dad. She was getting flashbacks from the time she was under 10, when her parents would constantly fight. She can still hear her mom's scream echo in her head.

There were definitely times where Jolene thought he was abusing her mom, but she wasn't sure. She was hiding from them when things happened, and her mom didn't speak of him ever again after he left, and as for Jolene, she didn't want to hear his name or see his face ever.

Whatever he had to say to her, it's too late.