• Twenty-four •

Mason was leaving on Monday for the Champions League game, and since Jolene wasn't working on the weekends, she agreed to spend time with him before he was leaving.

They were over at his house, currently making dinner together, and since both of them are bad cooks, they're pretty much on the edge of messing up the kitchen.

"Mason, stop eating the tomatoes," Jolene slapped away his hand.

"But I like tomatoes," he pouted

"We need them for this weird dish, so stop eating them," she chuckled.

"We should've just ordered something," Mason looked at the mess that was in front of him.

"No, Mase, we need to learn how to cook," Jolene said as she started putting the vegetables in a pan. Mason watched her make the food, and he couldn't help but smile at her and think how lucky he was to have her in his life.

"Can you taste this?" She handed him a spoonful of the sauce they had made together. He zoned back from his thoughts and let her feed him with the spoon. "That actually tastes really good," he said, impressed.

"Because we made it, duh," she said, making him chuckle. "I think if we just carefully follow recipes and instructions, we'll slowly learn," she said as she continued with the cooking.

Mason smiled as he stepped closer to her, hugging her from behind, resting his chin on her shoulder, and watching her cook from there.

"I think you might turn into the better cook out of us two," he said.

"Hmm, do you think?" She smiled

"For sure,"

"Nothing can beat your pasta dish, though," she chuckled, knowing that was the only thing he could actually cook.

"Oh, I know," he said with pride, "I'll teach you how to make it some day," he placed a kiss on her cheek.

———

After cooking and eating a somewhat successful dinner, the pair decided to cuddle up on the sofa in front of the TV to watch a movie.

It had been a pretty long day for Mason, starting training early and doing a few interviews during the breaks; despite having a calm evening with his girlfriend, he was still very tired.

Jolene kept noticing how he would doze off to sleep but quickly open his eyes again, not wanting to sleep yet. He was resting resting over her, his head on her chest, and hugging her, cuddling tightly into her while she was brushing her hand through his hair, giving him a feeling of calmness and relaxation.

"I love you," she heard him mumble.

"I love you too, bubs," she slightly chuckled at his cuteness. He would always remind her, even if he didn't need to, and it would melt her heart every time.

"Go to sleep, love, you're tired," she said, rubbing his back gently.

"I'm too lazy to go to bed," he yawned.

"That's ok, just close your eyes and sleep in this position," she told him.

"But you'll get uncomfortable," he said.

"No, I feel comfortable; just go to sleep, baby," she assured him. He smiled and hugged her a bit tighter, cuddling into her even more.

"Goodnight, Jolly,"

"Goodnight, Masey," she said, placing a kiss on top of his head.

———

It was nearly 2 a.m., and Jolene had fallen asleep a while ago with Mason on the sofa. But she was soon awoken by her phone vibrating.

She quickly grabbed her phone, turning the sound completely off so it would stop vibrating. She checked that Mason was still asleep and turned her gaze back to her phone.

It was an unknown number calling, and she decided not to pick up. Whoever it was, she didn't want to pick up in the middle of the night; if it was that important, they could call back later.

She put her phone back next to her, trying to go back to sleep. Just a few seconds later, her phone screen lit up again, but this time it was a text.

She sighed and carefully picked up her phone again, not wanting Mason to wake up. She checked the text and nearly had a heart attack to see who it was from. She never thought she would hear from that man again.

Text from unknown
2:07 a.m

Unknown
Hi Jolene, this is Michael, your
father. Please call me back.