3. it doesn't count

"So," Hange says, clapping their hands together. "Tell me the plan!"

"What if, Hange," Levi says, his voice dripping with sarcasm, "and imagine this for me-"

"Imagining!" they chirp brightly, eyes scrunched shut.

"We don't want to tell you."

"Mean!"

The day after your pizza and tea date in your physics classroom, Levi takes you out to dinner. It's December 21st, so you're starting to cut it close; everything you need to figure out, you need to do it soon. You and Levi have committed to this now, so there's a lot you need to know.

Over dinner, the two of you go through everything you can think of. Hobbies, sports, childhoods, recent family drama. Nothing super deep or anything, because you doubt that's something Levi really needs to know, but enough shallow things to be able to understand family conversation and not appear completely lost.

And it actually went pretty well. The conversation wasn't bad at all, and it definitely wasn't as awkward as some of your initial conversations had been. You're getting better at handling Levi: he's blunt, kind of grouchy, and never smiles, but he listens to you, asks you good questions, and you think he understands you, weirdly enough. Things you've had to explain to Hange that they just don't get, Levi understands immediately.

Then, the problem came when Levi was dropping you off (he has a car, a decent one at that) and Hange saw. Hange, who had insisted Levi come inside and now has the two of you sitting on the couch while they loom over you, ready for a "thorough interrogation" (their words, not yours).

"I need details!" Hange insists. "What's the plan? When are you going down? How many days at whose place first? How'd your parents react?"

You and Levi look at each other. He looks exasperated as he turns and says, "I have to get going-"

"You absolutely do not!" 

"Hange," you try.

"No way, Angel! I need to make sure all of your stories are airtight. Do you have photos together? Pictures or anything? Relatives are going to ask for pictures!"

Your mouth goes dry; you hadn't thought of that. "I hate pictures," Levi says. "We'll just blame it on that."

Hange frowns. "Unacceptable! Maybe to your parents, Levi, but to hers? You have to be her devoted boyfriend who's totally head over heels! So yes, you need pictures. Dear god, if you can't even handle pictures, how are you going to handle kissing each other? You two have to act your asses off!"

The two of you haven't discussed PDA much beyond acknowledging it was going to have to happen. You can feel heat rush to your face and you groan, leaning back into the couch. "Hange, come on," you grumble, pressing your palms to your cheeks.

"I'm serious!" they insist. "Come on. How'd you meet? Where was your first date?"

This, you planned. "We were introduced through a mutual friend, who set us up on a date at the local coffee house," you say, meeting Hange's gaze.

They nod along. "There we go. What did you both get?"

"What did we get?" you repeat.

"At the coffee shop! On your first date!"

"I got earl grey tea," Levi says, "and she got a chai tea latte."

You shoot him a look that you hope reads thank you. "At least one of you knows!" Hange says, throwing their hands in the air. "Who asked who out after that?"

"He did," you say at the same time Levi says, "she did."

"Aha!" Hange snaps, pointing at the two of you. "See? Discrepancies!"