18. it counts, no matter where

You and Levi don't leave the hospital until late at night.

Kuchel, all things considered, is in high spirits. The two of you spend most of the day with her, cycling out to bring in food, trying to find different topics of conversation that aren't related to death or cancer. You play cards, put a show on the television, and try to ignore the news from that morning.

You won't lie- it's rough. You feel like Levi's almost completely shut down, in a way, because he doesn't really speak much and his expression never changes. Lovof stays for a while, then leaves, saying he has work to attend to. Levi looks a little more at ease after he leaves.

You stay until the hospital staff kick you out, knocking on the door with a gentle reminder that visiting hours are almost over and that Kuchel must be tired. "She's right," Kuchel says as the nurse leaves. "I am quite tired. You two wore me out today- thank you for keeping me company."

"Happy to," you murmur when Levi doesn't say anything.

"Hm." Kuchel reaches out with both hands. Levi immediately moves, reaching for his mother's hand, and you take her other hand when you realize she's extending her palm to you. "Levi. You know my reading room?"

He nods, then speaks up. "Yeah."

She smiles. "There's a desk in there, you know the one?" Levi nods again. "In the top drawer, at the very back, behind some of my things, there's a ring box. It's black. It's my mother's ring- she passed it on to Kenny, but you know Kenny, he had no interest." Levi scoffs and your lips twitch. "So she gave it to me. Your stepfather insisted on buying me a ring instead of using... oh, I believe he called it 'an ancient heirloom' for an engagement ring."

Naturally. You try to figure out what she's getting at- does she want you to bring her some of her things when you come back tomorrow?

"Levi," Kuchel murmurs, looking to her son, your boyfriend, "I want you to have it. If it fits you, dear, and you like it, then please take it for when you get engaged."

Your jaw drops. "I... sorry?"

"Mom," Levi says, but he doesn't have anything to add after that.

"Oh, please, I don't want to pressure you." She shifts in her spot; she's still holding both your and Levi's hands. "I know you're a ways out, but..."

She trails off. You're speechless.

"I want you to have it," Kuchel says eventually, squeezing your hand. "Please. Even if I can't see my son get married, I want to know that I sent you off with my best wishes."

Your lips part. You can't think of anything to say.

Levi moves first, covering his mother's hand with both of his. "Get some rest," he murmurs. "You must be tired. We'll be back tomorrow morning."

"Oh, yes." Kuchel lets go of you, leaning back in her bed. "Don't rush, I'll be fine here."

You stammer out some goodbyes, then gather your coat and phone and follow Levi out of the room and down the hall. The two of you leave the hospital in silence, and the car ride is almost entirely quiet as well- save for Levi asking you if you're hungry, to which you tell him that you're okay, and the two of you head straight back to the mansion.

Getting ready for bed feels... draining, in a way. You're exhausted, but it doesn't even feel like you've done much. Levi leaves you to shower- admittedly, your shower is hellishly long, but you're past caring- and when you're out, Levi's sitting on the edge of his bed, fiddling with something.

You think you know what it is. You cross the room, footsteps quiet, and sit down next to him. "Shower's yours, if you want," you say.

"I'll shower tomorrow morning."