Chapter 18: Aufladen

31/08/1637
Onboard of FMS Dinsmarck, Leifordian Strait
07:26

The sound of waves gently slamming the hull of the warship, soothed anyone who heard that in the morning. Several sailors routinely do their tasks, from maintaining the ship, cleaning the deck, checking the weapon system, etc. Inside the bridge, the 50-year-old Captain Helbern Luxendire watched the crew maintaining the ship's instruments. Previously, he was an officer who observed the readiness of the young sailors trained on the FMS Dinsmarck. However, due to a pressing issue, this ship was returned to combat service to bolster the defense of the Wäldereich Marine.

Luxendire sighed in relief, not expecting his childhood dream to become reality. FMS Dinsmarck was the reason why he joined the Wäldereich Marine, hoping that he would commandeer the ship. However, he was forced to swallow the bitter truth that technological advancement rendered the battleship obsolete against the aerial threat from the anti-ship missile and the airstrike. Still, he was proud to commandeer her into the battlefield.

"Four decades dreaming to lead her into the battlefield and now is fulfilled. I feel my inner child is excited now"

"Well, isn't everyone too?"

Luxendire replied, "It is, Admiral," He turned around to see Admiral Kaizer Rowlian who stood behind him, "Considering that she was named after Princess Eugenia's adjutant that helped her to reunite Wäldereich, this ship become a symbol of our pride"

A small laugh came from both of them, breaking the tension inside the bridge. They knew that FMS Dinsmarck was tasked to support the Eastern Battlefleet due to numerous VLS that could carry more Barrakuda cruise missiles than any other Wälderian warships. Yet despite many critiques from several naval officers including Admiral Kaizer himself, she was deemed capable and pressed into service.

"The Government wanted to hold a great firework above Leiford, I'm not sure this old hag could do much, considering that we've already deployed many ships"

"Don't worry admiral, hundreds of missiles were launched from her VLS without any visible problem" said Luxendire as he tried to convince Admiral Kaizer.

"I see," said Kaizer with a calm tone. He then walked toward the door, "I'll leave it to you, Captain. I'm going to inspect FMS Richthoven"

Luxendire gave a salute toward Kaizer. He then focused on the second turret, which was replaced by an experimental laser cannon in 1985. He saw the battleship receive two refits that changed her appearance to complete the task given by the R&D department. He solemnly sighed, "Your beauty might be tarnished, but your duty shall be remembered"

Bidonville, Leiford

An underground town located just beneath the capital of Leiford. Unlike the capital city above it, the town was more like a slum where poor people lived and underworld criminals operated, away from the prying eyes of the government. The slum itself was under the rule of a syndicate called the Pesteline Syndicate that ruled for generations. This syndicate runs its business ranging from gambling, human trafficking, drug, protection racketing, loan shark, and money laundering all across the Leiford.

As the largest slum city in the western civilization area, it was no stranger to gunshots that rang every day due to turf wars between several gangs. However, this one was different due to the continuous firing sound they heard today. Collapsed bodies scattered around the street, unable to withstand the hail of lead that came toward them.

One of the thugs hid in the alleyway, closing his ears as he couldn't bear the sound of the continuous fire. He was nothing but a street thug who loved robbing people, and yet he was facing something that he couldn't understand.