Chapter 22: A Day in Leifordia

07/09/1637

Saintess Aprolica General Hospital, Leifordia, Leiford

It's been three days since the Wäldereich landed in Leiford. To maintain order in Leifordia, they used propaganda leaflets and installed pro-Wälderian people among the Leifordian populace, hoping to reduce the hostility among them. It worked well but it created another problem for the Wäldereich.

Most of the Leifordians weren't enthusiastic about the prospect of waging war, even against a country outside the civilization area. After the news about the fall of Paganda, pro-war support significantly increased due to fear of imminent invasion since Paganda was situated closer to the capital city of Leiford. However, constant air raids and the inability to protect the skies made the public's trust in the military plummet to the ground.

Upon the Wälderian landed on Leifordian's soil, some people began to stall the invader. However, they couldn't stop the march of Wälderian war machines and began to be overwhelmed. In a single day, the Wäldereich managed to capture three bridges that connected the capital city to other regions. With nowhere to escape, the populace that was trapped inside the city only had two choices, surrender or fight back the invaders. Most choose the former while some prefer the latter, hoping to push the invaders back to the West.

The Wäldereich also launched an operation to reduce the hostility among the Leifordians, offering some public-related services –mainly medical facilities and emergency kitchens– while continuously patrolling the Leifordia for possible rebellion cells.

One of the known examples was located in Saintess Aprolica Hospital, one of the largest hospitals in Leiford. However, due to casualties from both Wäldereich's aerial raids and landing operations, the hospital began to be overwhelmed with patients from both military and civilians. The current government and Wäldereich set up a field hospital near Saintess Aprolica General Hospital to deal with overwhelming patients.

Leiford Magus Medicae and Wäldereich medic –both military and members of Terralush Red & Green Cross– worked together to treat the patients, from both military and civilian. Numerous people with medical uniforms and Wäldereich standard camouflage uniforms walked back and forth, some of them carrying patients on the stretcher. The hospital became busier compared to usual conditions.

A lone woman –possibly around her 20s– stood in front of Saintess Aprolica Hospital. Her golden hair reflected the light of the sun above, while the wind softly blew her hair. A lone soldier approached her from the gate, giving her a salute gesture. From the looks, she knew he was a Wälderian soldier.

"Marlisca from Magus Medicae guild?"

She softly nodded.

"Follow me, please. Doktor Wolfsegg is waiting for your presence"

The soldier then entered the hospital complex, with Marlisca following behind. Inside, screams and shouts filled Marlisca's ears, but she shrugged it off since she was expected to work in such conditions. They suddenly stopped to give way for a pair of paramedics who were carrying a patient on a stretcher. She momentarily glanced at the patient, seeing his clothes akin to a mid-lower class civilian.

After navigating through the complex, they arrived at their destination. Marlisca was less impressed by the look of the supposed to be their office, being nothing but a truck with a tent connected on the side. Upon entering the tent, she was surprised to see the interior. Rather than a usual office, it was more like a surgery room with the patient on the operating table surrounded by numerous doctors around him. The soldier who escorted Marlisca approached one of them and gave a salute gesture.

"Doktor, she's here as you requested"

The Wälderian doctor gave a hand signal to the soldier to leave the room. After the soldier left, the doctor then approached Marlisca.