Chapter 26: Battleship Diplomacy

11/09/1637

100 Nautical Miles Southeast from Esthirant, Perlidia Empire

Beneath the clear, blue skies, a pair of wyvern riders patrolled the seas. Behind them, an identification flag of the Perlidia Empire continuously waved as they flew forward. It was their usual patrol routine to monitor the sea against pirates that could attack commercial ships that came and left Perlidia.

One of them was Rishmeiner, who graduated several months ago. He was currently assigned to the 56th Wyvern Squadron, which was assigned to patrol the Perlidian territory. He observed the sea using binoculars, while his wyvern lord stabilized the flight.

"Hey, Rishmeiner. Do you see something?"

Rishmeiner lowered his binoculars and looked at his wingman, "No, Heibert. It's all just water"

Like Rishmeiner, Heibert was also a newly graduated rider. However, he graduated and was assigned a week ago. Both were greens, but Heibert was greener than his partner.

He took his binoculars and continued to search through the vast, blue sea. Suddenly, numerous dots appeared on his binoculars. Rishmeiner adjusted his binoculars, zooming in to get a better silhouette. He finally saw a Fleet-sized ship, all of them having similar gray colors.

"I see something, a group of ships on our southeast. But I don't know what ships are they"

"Shall we get closer?" asked Heibert through magic communicator

Rishmeiner lowered his binoculars and safely placed them on his satchel that was strapped to his chest.

"Sure, let's go"

Both then ordered their wyvern lords to fly closer toward a group of unknown ships. With a speed two-thirds faster than common wyvern, the wyvern lords were the premier aerial units in the Perlidia continent. They were born after several attempts of manipulation from the crossbreeding until they reached the desired wyverns. Although the fastest wyvern lord ever recorded reached 250 Selim per hour (around 400 Km/h), its speed was inconsistent compared to mechanical aircraft like Oakley Berserkers or even Milishial's Alpha-3 fighters.

After minutes of cruising above the sea with their wyvern lords, they could see the group of ships. Both were slowing down their wyvern lords and circling near the ships to allow them to observe the unknown group of ships. Rishmeiner took his binoculars and observed the ships. With the distance roughly 20 selims between them, he could see the outside details of the ships.

"Those ships didn't have a mast. One that largest among them has a flat deck, probably a carrier like the First and Second Civilization countries"

Rishmeiner continued to observe the group of ships. He might not be a naval enthusiast, but he has a basic knowledge of any ship from various civilization areas. His eyes suddenly caught a naval ensign of the ship.

"A white flag with a red circle with numerous lines outward from the circle, it's the Japanese"

Rishmeiner lowered his binoculars and secured them on his satchel. He glanced at Heibert who was using his backpack communicator device to try to communicate with Perlidian HQ. Heibert nodded and put the handle back into his backpack.

"So, how is it?" asked Rishmeiner.

Heibert replied via magic communication installed on his helmet, "We're continuing our patrol. The HQ already send a fast Sloop to guide the Japanese ships"

Both then flew eastward, continuing their patrol duty. The group of unknown ships was The Special Escort Fleet of the Japanese Maritime Self-Defense Force. Currently, they were invited to the Perlidia Empire under a diplomatic mission.