Chapter 21: Development in the East

31/08/1637

Esthirant, Perlidia Empire

Esthirant, also known as "The Glittering Pearl of The East" was the capital city of Perlidia. Over the decades, the city has grown more industrialized thanks to the knowledge and technological share from both Murin and Hexenreichia. Although Milishial once banned technological transfer from both central and west to the rest of the world, it was rendered useless since they found a way through the black market. Nowadays, Milishial was only able to heavily restrict the sales of weaponry from the central and the west toward the east to prevent an unwanted arms race that could threaten Milishial's hegemony.

As usual, the city was busy with factories that were ceaselessly running to keep up with the quota. Although smaller than Duro or Mastarblin in terms of industrialization, Esthirant was still crucial for the Industries inside the country. Like most of the countries in Avon Arrete, they employed numerous slaves that acted similarly to the laborers but only paid with measly meals and communal beds which looks depressing with a lack of hygiene. However, unlike other industrial cities that rely on slaves from Perlidian-aligned states, Esthirant instead relies on people that punished because unable to pay their debts and vagrants that hunted down all across the cities in Perlidia.

On the opposite side of the Esthirant, there was an area that was reserved for both the royal family and government officials. Unlike the gloomy looks of the industrial district, the governmental district was well maintained to keep its prestige toward foreigners. Speaking of foreign relations, Perlidia has three foreign departments, each one maintaining one civilization area. The First Foreign Affair was tasked to deal with the Central Civilization area in the Central Continent, while the Second Foreign Affair was tasked to deal with the Western Civilization area in the Leinian Continent. Lastly, the Third Foreign Affair handles the Eastern Civilization area which includes both inside the Philades and others outside the continent.

Keriyos sat in his office, reviewing the various report on his desk. In front of him was the head of the Eastern Intelligence Service Calbarush, carrying a report regarding a country that emerged a few months ago in the far east. Keriyos put down the paper and leaned his back on his seat.

"So, is this Japanese warship that escorted a giant cargo ship that is larger than any ship that the Perlidian Navy has only armed with small cannons with an extremely high rate of fire?" asked Keriyos.

"Indeed, sir. We're working together with both West and Central Intelligence Services and we conclude that the cannon was akin to an anti-aircraft gun"

Calbarush then gave another piece of paper from his bag and presented it to Keriyos.

"This is the report from Sea-Wyvern Tender Millert that operated in the eastern strait, 50 Selims from Alderia Island"

Kairos took the paper and carefully read it. The content was that Millert sent a signal toward a sea wyvern to attack the Japanese white ship. The sea wyvern itself failed and was decimated by the autocannon that was mounted on the Japanese white vessel. Commonly, most of the warships deployed on the Eastern Civilization lacked anti-air defense; some were lucky to mount cannons designed to engage both enemy warships or land targets. However, Japan instead only mounted small cannons that were effective against air targets and unarmored warships, it was useless against the more modern and armored warships.

Long ago, wyverns were once referred to as "flying horses" due to their usage for aerial reconnaissance. They could not attack with magic like fireball or other elemental attacks, while some sub-species could only spit an acid goop on the target. Some ideas to use wyvern to attack the enemy were also reconsidered. From using a short bow to attack both air and land target (not very successful due to horrible accuracy from the wyvern's movement), diving and striking using powerful claws (leaving the wyvern and the operator vulnerable to a barrage of arrows), and using a mage as the rider (while it was effective, it also exhausting the mages after the battle).