Chapter 88

I tried to make myself as small as possible on the chair in the waiting room, because the staring of the other women was only uncomfortable for me. They also tried not to hide it, which turned minutes into hours for me. Max took it pretty easy and looked at posts on Instagram like nothing happens. I, on the other hand, had tried to hide behind a magazine, but I had clearly felt and seen the looks.

"Mrs. Gasser," the apprentice's daughter probably called out my name. This allowed me to exhale because the staring had come to an end for me. Max had to wait a little longer, because I had to go to the urine and blood test. But it had probably bothered him less than being gawked at me in the room, like animals in the zoo. He had probably been used to it all his life, while for me it was still new territory.

While enjoying the privacy, I became lighter by some urine and blood before I met my boyfriend again in the treatment room. Shortly after me, the assistant had sent him to me, where we were now waiting together for my gynaecologist.

"Do you think you couldn't already tell the gender?", Max was definitely not the most patient. But I had to disappoint him, we probably wouldn't get an answer to his question before the summer break.

Disappointed, he looked at me: "They should hurry, then I can set up the nursery with Daniel." Only he had probably forgotten something with his idea, the apartment was too small for four people. It would probably be enough for the beginning, but I wanted to move before the children arrived. With small children it was a bit too stressful for me. In addition, I didn't want to make myself comfortable with Max when I knew that we would have to move again in a year before that. I didn't want to feel at home and furnish myself when it was clear that we would leave it again.

"Then you should look for a house or apartment first," he looked at me in agony. Because the memories of the search in Munich probably came back to him. Only this time we would not include Vici, after all, it was about our home for our little family.

"If it need be," he nevertheless admitted, "it's best to look for a house right away, so that we don't have to move again when more offspring come." I raised my eyebrows. For me, twins were enough for now, in a few years we might be able to talk about it again, but first we had to make it with the two in me.

"We'll talk about it again when they're in our arms and we can't sleep anymore," I tried to talk him out of it. We had never talked about a number and I had never had a big wish because of it. But twins were safe enough for starters.

Luckily for us, my doctor came in and we were able to postpone the conversation before we could argue: "Nice to see you again, Hanna. And then for such a beautiful reason. You must be Max Verstappen, I'm happy to meet you personally and not just hear from you from the media." Max kindly shook her hand while I was already getting ready for the ultrasound.

"Canada was a bit turbulent, I've heard. Have you had any complaints since then, bleeding, cramps?" she put on her gloves. I shook my head and said that thanks to the medication I felt better than ever in the last few weeks.

Carefully she distributed the gel thing on my stomach: "Well then let's see what the two are doing in your belly. You are in the 9th week of pregnancy, if I read correctly?" Again, I just nodded and stared at the screen. Max had sat down next to me on a chair and put my hand in his.

He lightly stroked my head with his free hand, which made me relax: "here we have baby number 1, then let's see how big the little one already is. 1.2 centimetres a very good size for a twin in the 9th week. In addition, the organs seem to be developing very well, as it should be. Then let's look for his sibling. Ah, there it is, baby number 2. Yikes, he's the same size as his twin, very good. Usually, one is slightly smaller than the other. But both seem to be developing very well, the stress doesn't seem to have affected them."