Prologue

~⚜~

~~

Empty eye sockets stared back at Meya, the stench of decay wafting towards her on a warm breeze. Bile rose in the back of her throat, and she looked away whilst covering her mouth and nose with her sleeve. Flies buzzed around the decapitated head, their maggots feasting on the remaining flesh.

Oh Gods, she thought, they weren't lying back in town.

With trepidation, she hurried along the road lined with rotting heads and incomplete bodies of-what she'd been told-raiders and enemy soldiers.

She shuddered, suppressing memories that threatened to resurface, and her stomach roiled as the foul odour intensified. Gaze turned to the ground, she tried to focus on the path.

Soon it'll stop and all will be well, Meya told herself.

She swallowed and her eyes shot up for a moment. There were four more bodies before the macabre deterrent came to an end. She was about to avert her gaze again when she noticed the last corpse was fresher. A morbid fascination took hold of her, and she scrutinised the impaled head as she passed, slowing down a little, only to quickly regret it as her meagre breakfast threatened to come up.

If the stench alone wasn't abhorrent enough, the sight was. Meya gagged and sprinted away. She shook her head in an attempt to rid the memory, but she couldn't unsee the many bugs crawling in and out of the festering orifices. The skin was a rotting mess, but despite that and the fact that the birds had already made off with the eyes, she could still tell that the eyelids had been cut off.

I wonder if they did that before or after killing them...

Her upset stomach not appreciating the exertion, she slowed down. She swallowed and took a deep breath, thankful the wind was coming from the east-away from the dead. For a moment, she contemplated if she should continue down the road or head back to the town she'd just left. She'd spent a good month there and it hadn't been too bad a place.

No. I need to get further away. I should be able to go one or two more towns before I must settle again for the winter. She straightened, gritted her teeth, and repositioned her knapsack. Fuelled with renewed determination, she continued her journey east.

A/n: Brand new prologue 😊 What do you think? Are you excited for the second edition of MY LORD? (I am! 🤩)